Birddogs and Deal Finders - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by Jim IL on June 02, 1999 at 23:50:08:

Raelynn,
I have not ever found a home this way, but I do have some postal workers advised of what I’m looking for.
I would not advise sending a letter or post card to the post office.
The supervisors might frown upon thier carriers doing this, “while on duty”. (Delivering the mail is your job Johnny, not house hunting!)
But, get to know the carriers in your area, and advise them of your criteria and then give them a business card or 50. Be sure to tell them what they get IF they bring you a home.
My postal carrier covers more than half of my town, and he has brought me some vacant homes, and even let slide that one homeowner confided in him they were moving soon, due to a pending foreclosure.
Unfortunately, the homeowner was WAY behind and overencumbered, so it made no sense to deal with them.

So, go for it, but do it quietly.
And, let us know how it works for you,
Jim IL

Birddogs and Deal Finders - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on June 02, 1999 at 23:21:22:

Has anyone ever tried postal workers as a potential source of finding deals? Specifically, I mean the mail carrier walking/jogging to deliver to the neighborhoods. I am considering a marketing approach, and unsure if flyers or other items would work best. I’ve even considered sending postcards addressed to (among other addresses) the post office, either with a reward or the Ron Legrand-style lead-generating offer of $10/vacant house with photo.

Good idea or bad?