Boarding house blues - Posted by Anthony OH

Posted by Jeffery (La) on August 02, 2003 at 09:26:29:

You didn’t give any info on what you currently do to screen tenants. I’m not familiar with boarding houses but I’m assuming it’s long term residency. Personally, I’d start with the typical background checks: references from previous landlords, credit check, employment verification, perhaps a criminal history check, maybe a few surveillance cameras (contact me by email and I can help you there). www.usinformationsearch.com does tenant checks. I don’t know what they charge, but they’ll give you an estimate before the search. That’s all I can think of right now, I haven’t had my pot of coffee yet.

Jeffery
Lake Charles, LA

Boarding house blues - Posted by Anthony OH

Posted by Anthony OH on August 02, 2003 at 08:41:34:

I would greatly apreciate help related to my boarding house if anyone has any suggestions. Currently I have a nine bedroom house that I am renting per room. I have had fights amongst tennants theft in the house and I have had two tennants on different occasions that have ssstolen cor or have robbed a neighboring house. I would like suggestions on how or where to find better clients, make a better lease and on management tips for this type of property. If I don’t improve soon I may have some irate neighbors who may want to string me up! Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Anthony

Re: Boarding house blues - Posted by Brian,WI

Posted by Brian,WI on August 02, 2003 at 17:26:02:

Anthony,

As a former owner of 3 boarding houses, I’ll do my best to help.

First are you licensed for a boarding house(BH)? That could put a damper on things quick if the neighbors go to the city. If you are licensed that’s a good thing then.

How long have you been doing this? Don’t give up too quick if it hasn’t been that long.

What part of the city is your BH? This could be the problem with the bad tenants. Yes there are even those that never come off of a drunk or high, that still want a “nice” place to live. Even they don’t want to live in a War Zone.

The main thing you have to do with these types of rentals is be on top of things…be firm, but fair.

Check out the laws in your area. Here we have a very old lien law on the books for the “Keeper of a boarding/rooming house”, where the “Keeper” can take the property of the tenant AND/OR their guests if rent isn’t paid. That was my eviction process…“Here is a copy of the Lien law you got when you moved in. Your rent isn’t paid. I’ll be here tomorrow at Noon to take your property, OR you can be paid up by then, OR you can be moved out by then”. VERY IMPORTANT SO LISTEN…If you say you will be there at noon tomorrow to take their property…DO IT, let me repeat…DO IT! If you don’t they now control you. Your were firm, and even fair by giving them a few options to choose from.

If it’s not a rent problem, your rules should state eviction will occur if tenants break any laws, etc. (not that it’s enforcable, but it could work). Again going back to being fair and firm, when they move in let them know that if they bother you(unnecessary phone calls, etc), your manager(Have One), other tenants, or your building, “We are going to have problems”. If they don’t do any of that, you will get along fine together, otherwise it’s a different ballgame.

Let me know if I can help any more.

Brian,WI

Re: Boarding house blues - Posted by Michaela-ATL

Posted by Michaela-ATL on August 02, 2003 at 14:56:10:

Anthony,

I can’t speak from my own experience, but I do know, that it usually takes a certain type of person, that lives in a Boarding house. For one thing: They can’t qualify for a normal monthly rental, due to job or income or credit etc. Subsequently you’re dealing with a certain element, that lives paycheck to paycheck.

Yes, Rooming houses are potential cashcows, but they also have a lot of work and risk associated with them. It’s a business and not an investment.

Michaela