Boot Camp-Ophelia - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on September 13, 2005 at 09:29:30:

Being a notoriously bad driver, if I have to drive instead of fly I’ll drag Rocket Man w/me & he can hibernate in bookstores & libraries. I had already checked the Asheville weather (along w/local shopping, as I don’t get to the Big City often) & expect the entire Asheville experience to be delightful. See you all there–

Tye

Boot Camp-Ophelia - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on September 12, 2005 at 19:49:38:

Just finished changing all my reservations for Boot Camp to a day earlier, as I was afraid I either wouldn’t be able to get to the airport Thurs (we flood fast; doors are 11.5 feet above sea level) or that my flight would be canceled. One way or the other, I’ll get there! Discovered Asheville has a Kohl’s & aTuesday Morning, as well as a Boston Mkt (bringing my coupons), so I should be able to occupy myself for the extra day–

Tye

Re: Boot Camp-Ophelia - Posted by rise2it (VA)

Posted by rise2it (VA) on September 13, 2005 at 02:10:42:

What’s the weather report there shaping up to be?

Re: Boot Camp-Ophelia - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on September 13, 2005 at 08:14:37:

We are expecting flooding, which is the biggest danger here. During Isabel the storm surge was so strong it knocked over my water heater in the garage. The only road out floods early, which is why I’‘m planning to leave early, even though the wind may be stronger Wed than Thurs. My home is on a deepwater creek, 5 minutes by water from the ICW. Our creek is a hurricane hole, so the boats started coming in Sunday. Our lunar tide is only a coupla inches, but Sat the wind started piling up the water in the creek so that by Sun it was high in the marsh, less than 3’ from the yard level. Water is lower now, but there has been a weird feel in the air since Sat. With Ophelia moving so slow, it w/dump lots of rain, which w/cause more damage than the wind. We are low & flat here, so when we all move our vehicles to “higher ground” the elevation is only 3 ’ higher. Anyone interested in following what is happening here can view the every-ten-minutes Harbor Cam at:

Be sure also to click on the pic labeled “Hurricane Isabel” to see what happened then. The winds aren’t expected to be that bad, so folks aren’t even putting up plywood. We are, however, planning to deal w/lots of water (& watching out for snakes & mold). Waterfront living is seldom boring!

Tye

Re: Boot Camp-Ophelia - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 13, 2005 at 08:12:27:

The weather in Asheville has been sunny and 60 in the morning and highs of around 80.

Projected good weather with a possible chance of a shower late friday was the last I heard.

The boot camp should be a nice safe harbor from the storm.

Tony

Re: Boot Camp-Ophelia - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on September 13, 2005 at 06:37:07:

We are expecting flooding, which is the biggest danger here. During Isabel the storm surge was so strong it knocked over my water heater in the garage. The only road out floods early, which is why I’‘m planning to leave early, even though the wind may be stronger Wed than Thurs. My home is on a deepwater creek, 5 minutes by water from the ICW. Our creek is a hurricane hole, so the boats started coming in Sunday. Our lunar tide is only a coupla inches, but Sat the wind started piling up the water in the creek so that by Sun it was high in the marsh, less than 3’ from the yard level. Water is lower now, but there has been a weird feel in the air since Sat. With Ophelia moving so slow, it w/dump lots of rain, which w/cause more damage than the wind. We are low & flat here, so when we all move our vehicles to “higher ground” the elevation is only 3 ’ higher. Anyone interested in following what is happening here can view the every-ten-minutes Harbor Cam at:

Be sure also to click on the pic labeled “Hurricane Isabel” to see what happened then. The winds aren’t expected to be that bad, so folks aren’t even putting up plywood. We are, however, planning to deal w/lots of water (& watching out for snakes & mold). Waterfront living is seldom boring!

Tye

Re: Boot Camp-looking forward to it - Posted by Barry (GA)

Posted by Barry (GA) on September 13, 2005 at 09:43:54:

Lord willing, my wife and I will be there. I am excited about meeting everyone and getting lots of knowledge. You did say bring your deals, right? We are looking at a couple of small parks for sale and hope to get some guidance.

Thanks,
Barry