Bootcamps - Posted by Linda P.

Posted by scottese on September 22, 2003 at 18:48:23:

That’s what I told him…Buy some property instead. I told him I would take half and find him a deal to put the other 15k into! Of course I didn’t market my service as well, so I guess he’s gonna pay it…He propbably won’t last if he’s that naive, and if he does, it will be an expensive lesson!

Bootcamps - Posted by Linda P.

Posted by Linda P. on September 20, 2003 at 16:22:23:

My husband and I returned from Dallas last week after a bad experience at a famous guru’s bootcamp. We asked for and received a refund after the first day. We had paid alot of money for the four days and did not learn anything the first day. The second day we heard was mostly selling, and he brought in several other people who seem to make the circuit selling their courses and bootcamps. Is it possible to critique different bootcamps on this site or is that prohibited? I dont want to get burned again! It ended up costing us quite a bit of money with air fare, hotel, etc.

I Find It Funny… - Posted by Curt Dalton

Posted by Curt Dalton on September 21, 2003 at 16:38:26:

That all these “successful” investors so quickly toss aside the business that got them there to head out on the seminar circuit. There are SEVERAL former CRE posters that have done that. It seems the easier money is in the seminar and books/tapes biz, eh?

Thanks for being real - Posted by MoniqueUSA

Posted by MoniqueUSA on September 21, 2003 at 15:07:10:

So often people post feedback about seminars and bootcamps they attended with all
the rah-rah and hoopla that the guru fed them. It was refreshing to see someone be
genuinely critical and have specific expectations for learning.

MoniqueUSA

Re: Bootcamps - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on September 20, 2003 at 19:03:36:

There is an entire forum here dedicated to Boot Camps, Mentors, Gurus, Authors, Pitchmen, or any other name you care to call them. It is HERE:
http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard2/index.html

Re: Bootcamps - Posted by roger

Posted by roger on September 20, 2003 at 17:10:23:

sorry to hear you got burned, who’s camp was it , next time ask here on cre( or did you ) before you pay out to these bootcamps, some are just not worth the money.Many people on this site have had both good and bad experiences and they can advise you as to take this person or that one

I don’t know if it is easier… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on September 21, 2003 at 19:29:19:

But with many of the folks who choose that direction of the “Seminar Circuit”, it is as much a need to feed a LARGE EGO, as it is about the money…

What seems to happen with some is that they begin the speaking/courses, and then their own investing business goes down the toilet… But they look important going down the proverbial porcelin recepticle…

The path on the circuit is way overblown… IMHO. I’ll stick to doing a few deals per month, and clip the predicable coupons of RE investing… Besides, I seem to get a kick out of offering advice here, which I see benefit in, after seeing a number of people/investors benefit from the advice… That is enough reward, seeing/helping others succeed, in turn.

JT-IN

Re: Bootcamps - Posted by Linda P

Posted by Linda P on September 20, 2003 at 23:11:15:

Thank you, I will check that out.

Re: Bootcamps - Posted by Linda P

Posted by Linda P on September 20, 2003 at 17:36:49:

It was Ron LeGrand’s Millionaire Maker Boot Camp. We were led to believe it would be four days packed with more information than we could possibly take in! It was packed with selling. People paid thousands of dollars to sit there and be sold to. I was really angry that it wasn’t what it was hyped to be. Global Publishing replied to us that it was unfortunate that we weren’t open minded enough to stay for the four days and benefit from what they were teaching.

Re: I don’t know if it is easier… - Posted by Steve Whitehair

Posted by Steve Whitehair on September 22, 2003 at 09:52:37:

JT,
Although I hardly post, I do read this board frequently. One of the names I always stop & read is JT-IN. JT I consider you a master of your trade and very much appreciate all the wisdom and advice you freely share on this board. Thanks so much for taking the time to help us “newbies”.
Sincerely,
Steve Whitehair

Re: I don’t know if it is easier… - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on September 22, 2003 at 01:35:30:

JT,

I used to think that I knew about creative real estate. Then I was exposed to CREonline.com and learned about all that I didn?t know from the real players. If knowing that others value you advice is your reward, I want to say that I have benefited quite a lot from reading your posts over the past few years and I appreciate the thoughtful detail. Please accept my public thanks.

Brent

Maybe They Should Follow Their Own Advice… - Posted by Curt Dalton

Posted by Curt Dalton on September 21, 2003 at 19:51:43:

They all preach FREEDOM through RE investing and it seems once they start on the seminar circuit, they’re flying all over the country, speaking at every seminar and/or podunk investing club that’ll have them. Where’s the freedom? Oh, is it the freedom to get on a plane and fly some place, stay in some budget hotel and pitch products to wannabes? Yeah, sign me up. LOL Hypocrisy if you ask me.

Example: LeGrand. The guy’s worth what? $25M? Travels about 8-9 months a year and looks worse physically every time you see him. Why not ENJOY some of the fruits of his labors? Practice what he preaches? Ultimate hypocrite.

Your perspective is 100% right on, JT. You’ve got the sense to see this biz for what it truly provides and you’re kind enough to share some of that with us. I, for one, always enjoy reading your thoughts.

Thanks,
Curt

Re: I don’t know if it is easier… - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on September 21, 2003 at 19:41:20:

Your posts are well read and appreciated.

Re: Bootcamps - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on September 21, 2003 at 10:04:26:

Linda:

Unfortunately, the theory seems to be applied in the “Bootcamp and Seminar Business”, that if you bought this program… that you will/may buy another one too. “If you’ve been HAD ONCE, you could be HAD TWICE”. This approach is quite successful, it seems. Of course this is a “broad-brush opinion”, and does not apply to all, but unfortunately… all too many of these programs.

JT-IN

Ditto! - Posted by Kevin IL

Posted by Kevin IL on September 22, 2003 at 11:51:24:

praise and thanks to both JT and Brent (and many others)for your unselfish sharing on this forum.

Re: Bootcamps - Posted by scottese

Posted by scottese on September 21, 2003 at 15:36:49:

JT, I just had a newbie telling me the other day that he attended a seminar for $900. The next “level” was 5k and the final “level” was 25k, and that was “personalized” and a trained pro would scout the area with him and guarantee good deals. He was planning on attending and stated “you only live once” His money must come easier than mine. Hmmm, 31k? Sounds like “HAD THRICE” or more,to me!

Re: Bootcamps - Posted by Jay Compton (AL)

Posted by Jay Compton (AL) on September 21, 2003 at 23:13:48:

$31,000??? Good Lord…If he’s got that kinda money, why doesn’t he buy a house instead? For $31,000 I would be happy to bring him to Birmingham and show him exactly how to buy and sell 50 houses a year.

haha…Some of those guru people kill me. Financial freedom is great thing to have, if you have the ability to include the freedom. Without the freedom, though, you just have a high-paying JOB…There’s is nothing wrong with that, but please don’t present yourself as a “full-time” investor when you’re on the road 3 days a week pitching a bunch of books you’re selling. That is not a full-time investor.

I have personally been a full-time investor for 12 years now…I’m 30 years old. I bought my first house at 18, and I’ve never had a job. Now, don’t think it’s always been easy, because it hasn’t. And don’t think it’s always been profitable, because there have been some bad times. But I stuck with it.

I love talking about real estate investing, but I’ve never had the desire to hit the streets with an armload of books and tapes to convince someone to do what I do.

Happy Investing Ya’ll,

Jay Compton
Birmingham, AL