business cards revisited IMHO... - Posted by david

Posted by Brent_IL on August 16, 2003 at 13:21:40:

I like the bird dog suggestion. It’s much better than having separate cards.

I’ve always looked at cards as portable billboards. Instead of printing an image that simply describes what we do, in our case it might be a house, I’d use a diagram of a house similar to the kind Bob Allen uses to explain his examples. Then we could use our card to explain what it is that we do to casual acquaintances.

I’ve used cards as the basis for mini-sales talks with outstanding results.

One problem I had when I first started putting more information on the card was a consequence of their cost and poor thinking on my part. Twenty some years ago, my first batch of sales-oriented cards cost 40 cents a piece. They would have worked, but I didn’t want to “waste” them so I saved them for special clients, and used the company cards to pass out. The problem was that I had no special clients and was unlikely to find them by passing out cards with only a company name and telephone number printed on the front.

When I left the company I still had most of the cards.

When I realized the stupidity of what I had done, I came up with a slightly oversized fold-over card printed on four sides with four colors of inks and some gold stamping. I could give five sales talks using the card as a prop.

This was before the days of laser printing, so everything had to be typeset. One thousand cards cost me almost $900.

I gave out the cards to anyone who asked me what I did for a living. They all got a mini-talk. Which one depended on the circumstances of our meeting. I didn’t keep track at that time, but I would say that over a period of time more than 20% of those who received the cards called me to set up a meeting; maybe it was a lot more.

What happened was that the cards made the recipients feel special because they had never received anything like it before then. I didn’t have to call attention to anything. It was too big to fit in their card case, and they couldn’t bring themselves to throw it out. Many people told me that every time they moved it from one spot to another, they would recall the discussion and eventually they were at a point where they decided to call. One guy telephoned me six years after I gave him a card. He was cleaning out his desk, found the card, and picked up the phone.

I could write fifty pages on using sales props with RE presentations, but the lesson I learned here was that the cost of excellent cards is miniscule when compared the profits they generate by making us stand out of the crowd.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

business cards revisited IMHO… - Posted by david

Posted by david on August 16, 2003 at 11:17:58:

…They are “you” in a hand sized package. You dont want a bunch of different ones as you are striving for consistency AND you dont want to ever do what the competition is doing. Let the pack chase YOU.
You want your cards to:

1. be impressive
  2. be eyecatching
  3. be stimulating
  4. be informative.
  5. State your USP clearly
    Tall order, eh? Not impossible, though.
    Vista print has some good designs for the budget-conscious internet geek…I’ve used them. DONT make your own. They’ll look, well, ‘homemade’. Get off your wallet and get them from Vistaprint or elsewhere.
    Find a design that meets the criteria above and use them. Give them out. Leave them at the table at restaurants. Post them on every bulletin board. Put them on the waiting benches at those same restaurants. Give them to your family and friends. People at church. Give them to your kids’ teacher…you get the idea.
    You wanna order more every month, man!
    Give two, one to keep and one for them (hopefully)to give away. At any rate its harder to lose two than one!
    When face to face and time permits, write THEIR name and ‘$100.00’ on the back. DO NOT preprint this on the card(as a professional, you carry a pen at all times, right?).
    This is for them to be reminded of your bird-dog fee of at least one hundred dollars for every deal they refer to you that works… and then becomes a ‘personal contract’ between you and them. I’ve said it before and I’ll risk saying it again(you long time readers please bear with me here): “This is a people business first, and a numbers game second”. There is a huge psychology at work here and you must quickly tap into it.
    peace,
    David

quality cards for CHEAP! - Posted by jffolijr

Posted by jffolijr on August 17, 2003 at 14:12:12:

i don’t know their 4 over 4 prices because i got the raised print cards (two sided) but you can get them cheaper than any place i found on the web. business cards fast their address is sales@businesscardsfast.com talk to Al and tell him James Foli Jr sent you.