Buying without an agent? - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Chris on March 01, 2000 at 15:29:14:

Hi Carlos-

I can understand wanting to avoid the commission. Remember that is also negotiable and you can also arrange a deal with the broker so that if you are the one who finds the buyer the broker does not receive a commission. A broker will assist you with just the paperwork for a flat fee-ask a few to get an idea of a price range. I know in some areas a lawyer is required to close, so you should look into your local customs.

There are plenty of ways for you to sell your property to learn about. Start by reading the articles on this site.

Books and guru courses have been written to cover the question of how to buy a house directly from the owner so a quick answer is hard to write down. One way to start this process is to drive neighborhoods and look in the newspaper for FSBOs(For Sale By Owner).

-Hope this helps, Chris

Buying without an agent? - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Carlos on March 01, 2000 at 13:28:05:

Is there any article anywhere about buying a property without an agent?

Thanks!

Carlos.

Re: Buying without an agent? - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on March 01, 2000 at 14:56:07:

Carlos-

Just curious-

I guess it should be asked-What is your reasoning to avoid the agent: Is it the commission, not being able to deal directly with the seller,etc.?

What are you looking to find in an article: How to do the paperwork,etc.? If you are buying your first property on your own an attorney can make sure the paperwork is in order or an agent will probably help you for a flat fee if you just need someone to review the paperwork.

If there is a specific area that you need reference material on such as what occurs during escrow that will help to lead you to a specific book.

-Chris

Re: Buying without an agent? - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on March 01, 2000 at 14:25:38:

Have you checked out all of the articles on this site?

There are plenty of inexpensive books available at your local library on this topic. You can also do a search at Amazon.com for this area and read reviews from other people who have read the titles that you are interested in.

-Good Luck, Chris

Re: Buying without an agent? - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Carlos on March 01, 2000 at 15:08:17:

I am not willing to pay 6% for an agent to do any paper work for me. I’m willing to take whatever time it will take in order to avoid dealing with an agent. I’ll probably look for a real estate lawyer in my area then, right? I still have at least two years before my current house can generate some type of positive cash flow. It could be up to five years, so I have the time to learn about real estate investments. How do I learn how to buy a house directly from the owner?