Can anyone recommend a good book on... - Posted by Jim C

Posted by Bob (Md) on January 29, 2001 at 16:07:48:

I unhesitatingly recommend signing up for the Dale Carnegie course. It takes one night a week for 13 weeks. It will probably scare the crap out of you (it did me), because it forces you to come face-to-face with your doubts and insecurities. You do this by giving a series of mini-speeches in front of your classmates. After about the fourth or fifth night, you begin to believe that speaking won’t kill you, and by the time you finish the course (and give 25 or 30 speeches), your self-confidence has grown by about 2000%.

I can personally vouch that it gave me the tools for my last and current job, and is probably responsible for at least a 30% increase in my income over the last 3 years. It also gave me the confidence to wade into new and unknown situations (a “must” in my line of work). Even if you have to take a 2nd mortgage on the family minivan, it’s well worth it.

Can anyone recommend a good book on… - Posted by Jim C

Posted by Jim C on January 29, 2001 at 24:07:26:

Can anyone recommend a good book on building confidence and overcoming fear?

I don’t feel that I have a huge lack of confidence, but I sure could use some more. I’ve been feeling less confident with myself lately and I know that with a lot of things in life, confidence is key. I think that this would help me out a lot in speaking with sellers.

I get nervous anytime I speak with someone regarding something about Real Estate. If I could overcome that fear and be confident with myself, I think that I would be much more successful in this business. I also think that I would be much happier with my life if I was more confident and less fearful.

Can anyone recommend any good books on this?

Thanks a lot!!!

Jim C

Re: Can anyone recommend a good book on… - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on January 30, 2001 at 20:34:26:

Anthony Robbins Personal Power II worked for me.
Perhaps it would be worth your while to pick it up. I bought it from QVC (I found they had the cheapest price for a new set) You could also go to ebay or yahoo and pick up a used set.

Good Luck,

CAREY

Re: Can anyone recommend a good book on… - Posted by TroyT

Posted by TroyT on January 29, 2001 at 14:38:35:

Actually getting into action, as mentioned by many before, doing the small actions first is still the best info.
I run an area for the Dale Carnegie Organization in Ontario, Canada, and for what you speak about, a Dale Carnegie Course is highly recommended for anybody in Business, confident or not. Many have the impression that it is a public speaking course. Public Speaking is simply the tool that is used to give you access to all of the traits of a good RE Investor. I have two properties so far and will be adding more to my portfolio over the next few months and years. The skills of Carnegie have allowed me the confidence to go out, ask tough questions, deal effectively with clients and close my deals. The Carnegie approach is Business Coaching based on your unique ability, your aggressive goals, and desire to accomplish them.

Ask the person who enrolls you tough questions and ask for tough coaching. It happens here in Ontario.
Check out http://www.dalecarnegie.com

Good luck!

Re: Can anyone recommend a good book on… - Posted by Charles Steed

Posted by Charles Steed on January 29, 2001 at 10:00:33:

All the books mentioned here are great. Read as many as you can. While you’re doing that, call 5 FSBOs every day. Ask why they’re selling, is there assumable financing, how they determined their selling price, etc. Try to determine their needs. Make these calls as conversational as possible - try not to sound like you’re taking the census. 5 calls a day, every day without fail. Remember, these people don’t know you. Nothing you say is life/death. You can’t screw up. Books are great, but real life practise is essential. If you do this, you’ll find it gets easier as you go. Before long, it’ll become second nature.

Re: Can anyone recommend a good book on… - Posted by Bob (Md)

Posted by Bob (Md) on January 29, 2001 at 24:39:04:

Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living - Dale Carnegie
See You at the Top - Zig Ziglar
…anything else by Zig Ziglar
The Greatest Salesman in the World - Og Mandino
…anything else by Og Mandino

and of course - Rich Dad, Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki

I might also recommend…
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
A Book of Five Rings - Miyomoto Mashushi

That oughta get you started…just be forewarned that you won’t be the same person after reading these as when you started.