Can I lock tenant out? - Posted by Rich2647

Posted by Jim IL on February 04, 2000 at 14:51:45:

Rich,
Not being an attorney or familiar with your state laws or lease, I cannot really give you good solid advice.
But, I can share my thoughts and ask a few questions.
What does the lease say?
Is there a clause as to what you can do if the tenant vacates the property?
That may be enough there.
And, take a look at your state laws, try findlaw.com and alllaw.com.
Maybe talk to other landlords in the area as well, and even maybe some RE agents or brokers. they often know landlord tenant law and can tell you what they have done.
Also, maybe call a local RE lawyer and ask them what needs to be done?

How long has the tenant been gone, and are there items left behind that belong to him?

Frankly, If your not going to go after him for any money, I’d try to find him briefly, and let him know that you want him to retirieve his belongings, if there are any, and a time limit, then agree to release him from his obligation to you, so you can re-rent the place.
He should go for that, since you are agreeing to not make him pay you for the remainder of the lease.

Good luck,
Jim IL

Can I lock tenant out? - Posted by Rich2647

Posted by Rich2647 on February 04, 2000 at 14:28:24:

I rent a garage to a tenant for $120 a month. He stopped paying this month. He sold his business and moved. I made a good faith effort to find him, but I am unable to locate him. How can I legally serve him when I can’t find him? CAN I POST A NOTICE ON THE GARAGE AND LOCK HIM OUT SO HE WILL HAVE TO CONTACT ME BEFORE HE CAN GAIN ACCESS?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Can I lock tenant out? - Posted by k greene

Posted by k greene on February 04, 2000 at 18:28:41:

I might check with your local police dept if you have a concern what your tenant could be storing in your garage. ie chemicals, explosives or some unwanted.

Re: Can I lock tenant out? - Posted by ChrisFL

Posted by ChrisFL on February 04, 2000 at 18:20:19:

Check your local laws on the sites Jim mentioned, but make sure you check for non-residential tennancy. What you can and can’t do are sometimes much different from residential to non-residential tennancies.

Re: Can I lock tenant out? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 04, 2000 at 15:05:03:

Be careful. Read your state landlord/tenant law. They should have time frames and how to’s on abandonned property. Most likely the property will be considered abandonned and you can get rid of it after following the procedures in the law. Best wishes.