Can you resell a MH that has no title? - Posted by Chrys

Posted by Joe C. on March 13, 2001 at 03:02:35:

How do you do that UCC-3 Lien search?

Joe C.

Can you resell a MH that has no title? - Posted by Chrys

Posted by Chrys on March 11, 2001 at 11:32:54:

I think it’s a '76 model sitting on a dealers lot, cheap, though I haven’t seen it yet…will look Mon/Tue. But he says it has no title to it.

So, can I still flip it or rehab and owner finance it to someone? (Oh, I’m in TX btw.)

Sorry to be so full of questions today.

Thanks,
Chrys

yes… - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on March 17, 2001 at 08:50:54:

but depends on your state law. Here, if an auto or MH is over 15 yrs of age, a title is not required for transfer.

I buy mh’s without titles on a regular basis. When I sell, I simply use a bill of sale, a contract, and a promissory note.

One point here. In my opinion, a mh without a title has far less value than a mh with title… make sure you negotiate accordingly, and don’t fail to mention this to the tax office. Most will agree and place the “tax value” at a much lower rate.

David S

Re: Can you resell a MH that has no title? - Posted by char

Posted by char on March 11, 2001 at 20:06:05:

you can get a magistrates title.

How’d the dealer get the home? - Posted by Blane (MI)

Posted by Blane (MI) on March 11, 2001 at 18:32:58:

Chrys,

How’s the dealer planning to sell it, and how did he get it? Just curious. Maybe you can get him to help you get a new title, as an incentive for him to make a few bucks. Just my .02.

Blane

Re: Can you resell a MH that has no title? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on March 11, 2001 at 11:54:27:

There must be some way of getting a duplicate title out of whatever entity in your state handles that.

Re: Can you resell a MH that has no title? - Posted by Jeff Hertzberg

Posted by Jeff Hertzberg on March 11, 2001 at 21:19:05:

I live in Florida and here, if you know the previous owner, you (or they) can apply to the D.M.V. for a “lost title”. I used to live in Virginia (Norfolk) and its the same there. I suspect most states are similar.
I just bought my first MH in a 55+ co-op park. The old guy (who happened to be Canidian) had misplaced his title which by the way included his deceased wife’s name. My closing attorney is handling all…way too complicated for me !!
Also, there is a company called Broadway Title that says that they can get you an Alabama or Mississippi title to any vehicle more than 20 years old.I’ve seen them listed in Hemmings Motor News.
Hope this helps. JEFF

Re: Can you resell a MH that has no title? - Posted by bama

Posted by bama on March 12, 2001 at 18:28:08:

You might want to find out exactly when your state started titling mobile homes. Alabama didn’t start until 1990 or so.

When we sell an untitled home through a finance company, the finance company has us do a UCC-3 lien search. This search discloses any liens against the home. It only takes a few days and costs $5.

Sam