Carleton Sheets "Students" Read This - Posted by Andrew

Posted by Lyal on August 06, 2003 at 09:07:26:

Michele,
Nope I’m a little further north (!!), in MN, land of 10,000 lakes (just NONE near me dang it…)
Lyal

Carleton Sheets “Students” Read This - Posted by Andrew

Posted by Andrew on August 05, 2003 at 07:32:38:

Being interested in real estate investing, I’d taken a particular interest in Mr. Sheets course, however, after doing a certain amount of research, I’ve found several unredeemable flaws in his plans and thought the general public here should read this also.

This is the only time I’ll post to this particular forum. I’m just hoping other novices don’t fall for the same schemes that others in the past have.

Re: Carleton Sheets “Students” Read This - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on August 05, 2003 at 20:23:12:

I started “investing” in 1995 after being laid off from a good paying factory job. I read Sheets course, along with Wade Cook, Robert Allen, Nickerson, Napolean Hill, and several others. So far I have invested probably $3,000 in books, tapes and courses.

Let me ask…in what other profession can you invest under 5K and make an exceptional living? Are these books and courses scams? Only if you think they are!! If you fall into this category then you are more than likely a “jumper”…someone who jumps around looking for the best and easiest get-rich-quick course!! Why not buy the one that touts getting “little tiny ads” and making a fortune almost overnight?

Mr. Sheets and many others are responsible for my being in this business today…and I thank them. Do their books and courses work everywhere for everyone in every situation? NO! Make them work! Be flexible and change as the business changes. Read “Who Moved My cheese” and you will have a better perspective. I just had to throw in my 2 cents.

Re: Carleton Sheets “Students” Read This - Posted by Paul

Posted by Paul on August 05, 2003 at 10:32:25:

I read the article you reference and found it to be as much of a personal slam against Sheets as it is an objective critique of Sheets’ product. As an experienced commercial appraiser and consultant, I purchased Sheets’ program that he advertises on TV out of curiousity more than anything else. My conclusion was that it included some good basics and good advice for beginners, but did get into some deeper things more suited for advanced investors. The benefit of Sheets is the organized step-by-step presentation of the material in an easy to follow format. Many of the forms and checklists provided would be beneficial to newbies. Is it overpriced? Yes. Hyped? Yes. Helpful? Yes. Can you buy it cheaper? Yes, on eBay. That’s where I sold mine after I was done with it.

Re: Carleton Sheets “Students” Read This - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on August 05, 2003 at 09:11:59:

Andrew,
Check the archives here. JTR and his opinions have been discussed ad nauseum before. He is a zealot and an extremist (my opinion). His one voice against all the other successful people doesn’t balance. If you use his info to avoid getting into the business, then you were looking for a reason not to do it anyway.
Carleton’s course was the first one I purchased and what got me interested in REI. I’m a very cautious, plodding individual. I started with one step, then another, then another and I’m at the point where I consider myself to be moderately successful and yes, it does work.
If you don’t like Carleton, start with someone else. JTR has nice things to say about Lonnie Scruggs so try his (very inexpensive) books first. I’ve had a lot of success with mobiles.
If JTR told you it was dangerous to go outside, would you confine yourself to your house?? No you’d stick your head out, then maybe walk out on the porch…enough said.
All the best, Lyal

Re: Carleton Sheets “Students” Read This - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on August 06, 2003 at 15:41:12:

Aye sir … Carleton gets my thanks as well. He’s been selling the same stuff for 30 years and it still works. Some of it anyway. Just don’t use any of his forms :wink:

RL
(Wishes he’ll have as much hair as Sheets does when he gets older).

Re: Carleton Sheets “Students” Read This - Posted by MicheleCO.

Posted by MicheleCO. on August 06, 2003 at 08:50:03:

Lyal, Do you live in Fort Collins?