Cat Urine - Posted by Alan HOUTEX

Posted by Alan HOUTEX on December 31, 1999 at 14:30:54:

N

Cat Urine - Posted by Alan HOUTEX

Posted by Alan HOUTEX on December 31, 1999 at 01:06:03:

A few months back I read a few suggestions on how to get pet smells out of the house. Without being able to search the Archives, can you guys offer some suggestions. I also have some pet stains in Berber carpet I would like to get out.

You help is appreciated.

Happy New Year to All!

Re: Cat Urine - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on December 31, 1999 at 17:18:47:

I forgot to add that in the article the folks called some professional cleaners in before using the vinegar to get rid of the odor. The pros did all sorts of stuff with enzyme treatments, etc. that did not do a thing except cost several hundred bucks. Some times simpler is better.

Re: Cat Urine - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on December 31, 1999 at 14:01:48:

Bill K was right. I read the same thing at the Mr. Landlord web site. Go to www.mrlandlord.com and subscribe to their e-mail newsletter. The urine removal tip with vinegar and black light was in there. It is probably on their site in the archives.

Re: Cat Urine - Posted by Michael Morrongiello American Note

Posted by Michael Morrongiello American Note on December 31, 1999 at 12:52:43:

Alan,
This is tough. I once acquired a home from a woman who was acting chapter president for the friends of animals organization. Her home had 20 cats, 4 dogs, and countless other pets in it and the smell was awful.

The carpet is very tough to rid of the smell. It might be wise to simply replace it. However if the carpet overall is in good shape then use deodarizers to offset the smell when showing the home. I even sealed my concrete floors with a sealer before we laid the new carpet and the urine smell still did not fully disappear.

Michael Morrongiello
Operations Manager

Re: Cat Urine - Posted by Bill K.- - FL

Posted by Bill K.- - FL on December 31, 1999 at 13:07:19:

I read about one landlord having very good results using vinegar in a sprayer on the walls and carpeting. The vinegar is acidic and the urine is alkaline and supposedly the smell gets neutralized and doesn’t come back. However it works, they said it worked great. They also said don’t be skimpy use enough to saturate the carpet pretty well. It’s worth a try and it’s cheap. Also they said they used a black light to actually see where the urine was so they could they could treat where necessary. Good Luck.