CD Rom - Posted by Trina

Posted by Jason Perry_NH on May 30, 2000 at 07:13:57:

You can find these kind of CD’s at any electronics/ software store, like Best Buy/ Electronics Boutique/ or try online at Egghead.com (Egghead software co) They are called names like Phone Usa, etc – just check to make sure it has a reverse directory function – most do-- just make sure.
Jason

CD Rom - Posted by Trina

Posted by Trina on May 29, 2000 at 21:27:45:

Yes, can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Reverse Directory CD Rom. I have seen it mention in a lot of post but no one has every mention where this can be purchased from.Thank You in advance.

Re: CD Rom - Posted by John (TX)

Posted by John (TX) on May 30, 2000 at 22:32:16:

Trina,

As pointed out in Scott’s message below http://www.555-1212.com has a reverse lookup, but it is only one of many. Try Startpage - Private Search Engine. No Tracking. No Search History. There you will find links to a couple of dozen sites, most of which have a reverse lookup feature. It’s always good to try several different sites because they don’t always have the same data. I’ve often tried several sites before finding the info I was looking for.

I prefer the online searches to the CD’s for two reasons. The first is timing. The online services get updates and put them online immediately. The CD manufactures get the data at the same time as the online services but then must create new CDs, package them, ship them to distribution centers, the distributors send them to retail stores, and finally they are bought by the end consumer. By then they are already becoming out of date. The second reason is cost. Just one CD costs $49.00 - $99.00 (give or take depending on which one you buy.) Not only is it already out of date when I buy it but I must shell out more money if I want updates. Also, just like the online services it’s a good idea to have more than one source (assuming the sources are not selling the same database.) which means spending more money for different versions (brands) of CD’s such as Phone USA, Phone Direct, Select Phone, etc.

Even though It’s pretty obvious I’m biased toward the online services I must say in defense of the CD’s, they usually have more extensive searching, sorting and printing capabilities so sometimes it comes down to what you need them for. The online searches win hands down for a reverse lookup on a specific number, or a similar simple, singular task, but if you want to print out all of the addresses on a street, in a zip code or neighborhood etc., the CDs are the only way to go. In fact if you want mailing labels forget the online searches, most only display 5 or so matches at a time and there is no clean way to print them if there are multiple pages that must be cycled through to see them all.

IMHO the bottom line is this; for quick simple lookups go online. For extensive features get one or more CDs. They both have their place and only you know which is best for your circumstances.

Happy Investing,
John

Re: CD Rom - Posted by Scott SC

Posted by Scott SC on May 30, 2000 at 13:22:03:

Trina,
Goto www.555-1212.com. They have a reverse lookup.