Cleaning/Security Deposit & what can be witheld - Posted by T. Tucker

Posted by PBoone on May 06, 2000 at 07:58:28:

Call a handyman in your local area to see what he/she charges per hour and use that as a guideline. We are in Oregon and usually charge a flat fee based on what is usual and customary for our area. Most of the time we hire it out.
Pat

Cleaning/Security Deposit & what can be witheld - Posted by T. Tucker

Posted by T. Tucker on May 05, 2000 at 16:09:37:

Can anyone tell me just where to find info regarding just what can be witheld from a cleaning/security deposit when a tenant moves out, in the state of Utah, short of paying $150.00 per hour for an attorney? My understanding is I can withold for cleaning and damages beyond normal wear and tear. They were in the Unit about 14 months. I had to clean carpets, drapes, paint several walls that had just been painted, clean out a tub drain, refinish new redwood stairs, remove excessive oil from driveway, remove a bunch of their trash etc. etc. Tenant also failed to abide by the Lease Agreement by not keeping his lawns mowed, leaves raked, snow shoveled etc. If I did all of the above work myself, am I entitled to be compensated for my time, efforts and materials, by witholding money from the cleaning/security deposit. And if I am entitled, how do I establish what is a fair and resonable hourly rate to charge?