Closing without a C of O? - Posted by Mike

Posted by qstaff on August 14, 2003 at 10:19:27:

The Dept. of Housing should be able to provide this information or a good contractor. When it comes to rules of construction always go to the source!!!

Closing without a C of O? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on August 14, 2003 at 10:06:40:

Does anyone know if you can close on an older home (approx built 1922) if there is no Certificate of Occupancy. There was a time when this home was going thru the process of going from a 2 family to a 1 family and the process was never complete. That was in 1947!

Now I want to buy this house and found the problem at the Dept of Housing. I know I can eventually get it converted but then you are talking about having inspectors rip down the walls to see the electric and the plumbing etc. Then the fees involved along with permits.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks
Mike (in New York)

Re: Closing without a C of O? - Posted by cecil farr

Posted by cecil farr on August 16, 2003 at 10:34:43:

C/o 's are local issues, not many places have them. Where I live the inspector’s are very strict about bringing old homes up to current codes. You can buy the house and “close” but you must get the c/o before anyone can live in the house. There is no grandfathering.

Re: Closing without a C of O? - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 14, 2003 at 12:59:47:

Mike,

I would think, that your situation is grandfathered, meaning, that the condition is so old, that even though it may not comply with today’s building codes, it’s accepted due to age. I’m not an authority on this, so, hopefully you can get some other opinions.

michaela