commission question - Posted by hdhougen

Posted by JBS on March 10, 2006 at 12:26:27:

I am a liscensed agent as well as an active investor. Most people who are “motivated” sellers do not want to have to pay a commission. Usually, if the deal is good enough for an investor, the homeowner probably wouldn’t have the means to discount the price and also pay a commission. I always inform sellers that I am a liscensed agent but asure them that I am only interested in the house as an investment, not for the commission. This generally produces a sense of a “common ground.” Sellers will be discourgaged if you are trying to get their house at a discount or on good terms and also have to pay a commission.

Hope this helps.

commission question - Posted by hdhougen

Posted by hdhougen on March 10, 2006 at 12:11:38:

At the time I am not currently a licensed realtor. My question is if I do have my license and I purchase a house that is not listed on the market yet do they owe me a commision?

Also do people that sell there homes before listing them prefer to do business with a licensed reator or an investor that isn’t licensed?

My thought on the matter is that these motivated sellers could come to the conclusion that they owe the realtor a commission and could possibly be discourages in doing business with them. I don’t know this for a fact and I was hoping to get other investors opinions. Thank you ahead of time for everyone that reads and responds.

Re: commission question - Posted by James

Posted by James on March 10, 2006 at 22:00:06:

If I’m reading your question correctly, if there is no listing agreement (thus the house is not yet listed) there is no obligation that the seller pay anyone any commission. It’s the listing agreement that specifies payment of a commission, how much, etc.