Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 19, 1999 at 17:31:46:

Tim,

If I wasn’t clear in my post, he didn’t influence me in NOT pursuing REI. In fact, it was the opposite. I am more determined than ever to prove that I am/was right in pursuing this course.

Last year, I cleared the decks by fixing my schedule so that I could live by contracting 1 week a month, giving me 3 weeks a month pursuing other opportunities. At the time, I didn’t know much about the Creative RE industry.

Now that I know much more about it, you will be happy to know that I am actually trying to work even less so I have more time for REI!!

Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 19, 1999 at 24:36:13:

I have a little story to share with all of you. Tonight I was at a good friend’s house catching up on past events and so forth. I told him about my current activities with Creative Real Estate and Paper and how I was really having a good time learning and exploring this new world. I told him about Kiyosaki, Rich Dad Poor Dad, the CREOnline Convention, LeGrand, Bronchick, Behle, etc. and all the eye-opening information I got that was not common knowledge to the general public.

I know I should keep this Creative Real Estate stuff a secret since friends and family are the biggest skeptics. But I believe I encountered skepticism at a level I haven’t heard thus far.

He stated his concerns of crooks in the business and the need for large amounts of cash to do deals. I told him I understand there may be some crooks in this business like McCorkle was (which was unfortunate), but I wasn’t going to let the fear of a crook stop me from studying all the books and materials I could get my hands on and pushing forward to make deals. I told him that that there may well be some shady elements/players in this business but all industries have crooks. I told him that I found it VERY difficult to believe that EVERYONE I talked to and met was being dishonest. Having been exposed to so many individuals in person, books, and online like members of this board, the CREonline convention attendees, speakers, authors, etc., I told him that if this entire Creative RE/Paper business was corrupt, that this was the biggest conspiracy I had ever seen since the government. And that it was the greatest coverup I had ever seen.

After that statement, he basically stated that “yes” it was one large conspiracy with all the participants being less than honest in teaching these “undoable and shady techniques”. He went on to say that if the speakers were so good, why did they teach and charge for the materials if they were so rich. Being an instructor of technology, I asked him if I was a crook since I was teaching instead of “doing” it? He said no but that was different. I told him I really could care less if the speakers/authors have slowed or stopped doing deals AS LONG as they ACTUALLY did them as they taught. He believed that if you were teaching, you were not and unable to do deals.

It was emotionally draining and I was truly flabbergasted. I expected resistance along the lines that “it is illegal” or “it can’t be done that way” etc. But to have someone say that the ENTIRE Creative industry was one tightly held conspiracy? Whew! I just couldn’t respond.

It was clear to me I wasted my time. While I was prepared for some resistance and negativity, I was simply not prepared for the degree of it and the whole conspiracy theory he proposed.

Everyone of his suggestions was one from the “poor” mentality. 1. Wait a year so I could save enough money to do “real” deals. 2. You have to deal with banks & mortgage companies when dealing with properties. 3. He thought I had too much time on my hands by working only 1 week a month in my current self-employment job. (I told him that was the point of the last few years efforts so that I could have the freedom and luxury to pursue new and exciting opportunities; that I didn’t want to be like “everyone else” who work so hard that they can’t even think straight.)

What really bothered me was that he was so closed-minded that he would not entertain even the notion that there was some truth to all of this since it came from several sources (I showed him web sites, tapes, books, etc.) and different vendors. He had such a problem with the profit motive of the speakers, web sites, etc. that it blinded him to the possibility that people can actually make a profit AND tell the truth simultaneously.

I was so disappointed at his rigidity and his pessimistic view of life. I would not say I am an optimist but I amd a realist who is opportuniistic. I try to balance and if there is a reasonable possibility of good, I simply explore it. I hate lost opportunities.

As all of you can tell, I had to vent my frustrations. Thanks for listening.

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by David (GA)

Posted by David (GA) on April 20, 1999 at 08:50:08:

Last week my wife and I went to Biltmore House in Ashville NC. If you have not been I recommend going. Anyway I wanted to find out more about the Vanderbilt family, So I went to a place that something like 80% of the people do not have a ticket. The library.

I check out a book about the family. The first chapter is about Cornelius Vanderbilt. A reporter asked what was his secret of success? He said, attend to your business and go ahead. Never tell what you are going to do until you have done it.

That was such a great thought I put it on a 3/5 card and read it everyday. He had said that in the mid 1800’s it sounds like good advice for today.

I hope this will help the next time some 95%er wants to give advice. I run into people like that weekly.

David (GA)

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by J.D. Swindell

Posted by J.D. Swindell on April 19, 1999 at 15:49:36:

Matthew, I do agree with the previous posts and in addition…see my email I sent you…there is a very likely answer. I have sent it 2xs, if you didn’t get it email me and I’ll send again.

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on April 19, 1999 at 12:37:54:

Matthew, thanks for the story. I know this will seem a little strange, but I actually get MORE excited about REI when the psychic vampires make themselves known. I feel stronger in my convictions knowing I have knowledge and vision beyond the typical “95 Percenters”. Reading your story got me pumped!

Stacy

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on April 19, 1999 at 08:58:50:

Hi Matthew,

I can relate so well with your frustration, I?ve gone through the same thing several times with friends and family members. And one thing I?ve learned…you?re wasting your time trying to change the mind and/or attitude of someone like you describe. Like the saying…“You can lead a horse to water, but you can?t make him drink.”…you can?t educate a person that?s determined to stay ignorant.

We spent years sharing (or trying to share) what we knew with a couple of our best friends. Our only reason for doing so was to help them improve their financial position, because it definitely needed improving. But everything we suggested or recommended, was met with a negative answer and a reason why it wouldn?t work. “Can?t” was, and still is, the most often used word in their vocabulary. I finally gave up on trying to help them when they made the remark…“I figure if you make a $1,000,000, that means you screwed someone else out of a $1,000.000.” After that remark, I?ve never mentioned or suggested another idea. And sadly, their continued negativism and whining has caused us to lose interest in their friendship. But even worse, their attitude and mindset has been instilled in their children who are living the same lifestyle.

Over the years I?ve met all kinds of negative minded people who try to pull you down to their level offering all kinds of advice and the reasons why your plan won?t work. They can offer all kinds of advice to you, while at the same time are struggling to buy groceries and pay the rent. The next time you encounter a person like this, you might ask them the same question I?ve asked several people… “If you?re so smart, how come you?re always broke?” And they will probably tell you how “lucky” you?ve been. Another thing I?ve learned is that the more successful you become, the more jealous your friends will become.

The type of person in your story (and mine) make up the 95% of the population that will reach retirement age and be old, broke and unable to live a decent life without financial help from someone. For the other 5% of us, there will always be plenty of opportunity with little competition.

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Matthew. We sometimes tend to forget where we are and where we?ve come from. This shows again how our attitude can be our best and most important asset, or we can let it be our worst enemy. And we get to make the choice.

Best regards,

Lonnie

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Tim (Atlanta)

Posted by Tim (Atlanta) on April 19, 1999 at 07:40:04:

Why listen to him ?

Has he ever made any money in real estate ?

If you have read Kiyosaki’s books, you should have gotten the idea that you should not surround yourself with negative people. He will NEVER be successful with his attitude. You will NEVER be successful if you listen to him.

Simply don’t discuss the ideas with him anymore. You were being a good friend in that you wanted to let him in on this secret, now leave him to his own pitiful existence. The first creative deal you close will convince you that this is for real. After several of these deals, perhaps you can broach the subject with him with hard evidence.

About 3 years ago, I also listened to my so-called friends and relatives. I finally decided to ignore their advice and start doing deals. Now I own 13 rental properties and have bought and sold several other properties.

Don’t give up before you try.

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 19, 1999 at 01:28:29:

They aren’t willing to do it, so there has to be a good enough excuse not to. It couldn’t possibly be legit, because then HE would be wrong for not doing it. Most of my friends just admit that they are too lazy, or won’t give up personal time to get started, or don’t have the “vision” that I do. The rest get nasty… when that Jealousy thing kicks in !

good luck to ya !

Laure :slight_smile:

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 19, 1999 at 17:10:34:

Wow, I am glad the story can help. What an unexpected surprise! But I hope you will understand that I hope not to post those kinds of stories too often. It is too depressing.

In the meantime, I need to contain my enthusiasm with people I know by simply responding, “Everything is the still the same. I still work hard.” That will make everyone feel at ease. Sad, I know, but the alternative is getting into disagreements over the philosophies of life.

I agree - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on April 19, 1999 at 14:59:41:

When I “announced” my going to a real estate seminar, and a ‘peer’, who was working two (2) jobs told me “Don’t fall for that, that stuff doesn’t work”, it just made me more determined to go and prove I could do what I was talking about. Yahoo! Bring it on! But I still would rather spend my time with you-all crazy investors. :slight_smile:

sandy

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 19, 1999 at 21:12:17:

It makes me laugh to think that someone would say that if I make $1,000,000 then someone else got screwed out of $1,000,000. If that was the case everyone is screwing the heck out of their boss every payday. It is sad to see people with such a broke mentality.

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 19, 1999 at 17:25:53:

In following up with your comments of “95 percenters”: I’ve seen threads regarding competition and perhaps there is some degree of it in this business. But the overwhelming number of people who are “naysayers” (95 percenters) is so encouraging because the odds are always stacked towards people who are willing to better themselves.

Even some of the people who have gone so far to purchase materials, study, etc. will inevitably fall to the wayside because of the negative influences of their friends and family or because they are easily discouraged psychologically.

By the way, I finished both of your books. They were so readable and easy to understand! I already got a few parks lined up to visit!

Re: Conspiracy Theory - Posted by peter

Posted by peter on April 19, 1999 at 12:32:25:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can`t make him THINK.