CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by Rochelle

Posted by Steve-DC on February 08, 2002 at 07:37:57:

Tim,

Next time you get there, take the Seinfeld tour…it’s pretty fun!

-Steve

CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by Rochelle

Posted by Rochelle on February 06, 2002 at 12:48:05:

I am looking to attend The Creative Real Estate Online Convention 2002 in Atlanta, March 21-24, 2002. If you have gone in the past I would like to learn your insight about previous conferences. Was it worth the time and money invested? Additionally, have you attended other real estate workshops/conferences? If so, which one would you highly recommend? Just as an aside I?m looking for presenters with real-life experiences and knowledge that can work in today?s market. Any and all information will be greatly valued. Thanks much.

Re: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on February 06, 2002 at 15:43:46:

From a guy that has attended the last 3 CREONline conventions, yes the presenters do do deals.

Bronchick, the Frances, just read the newest How To Article of Charlie France, Steve Cook has done tons of deals, John Hyre has put together mobile home deals and is an attorney/ accountant, Lisa is a longtime landlord, John Schaub has been investing since the early 1970’s, Lonnie has done tons of mobile deals, and on and on it goes.

Also you will get to rub elbows with guys like HR Hal Roarke who has done many rehab deals in the New Orleans area. I’ve seen many pictures of the before and after. Bob McNeely has his impressive investment portfolio with him featuring everything from mobiles to single family houses to small apartment complexes.

You’ll meet Ken SC who owns tons of property, including much commercial property. Alot of folks from Terry (Houston) to Jim Kennedy that do subject to deals etc. All of the above folks through my experience at the conventions are very easy to talk to and enjoy talking about their craft.

And yes this is the convention to go to if you had to pick only one to attend. BTW I’m going again for the 4th time this year.

NYC: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by David_NY

Posted by David_NY on February 06, 2002 at 15:11:51:

Hi all:
I’m a newbie to REI as well and I’ve been reading lots of RE books, attending RE seminars and printed ALL the How-To articles on this site (read some of them.) I have not done any deals nor have I start to search for any seller/house. Therefore, for the convention, I would not know what questions to ask because I don’t have any pratical experience. Is that the correct mentality? Sure I will learn how everyone use “creative” ideas to make deals, but would those work in New York City? I was told by a 20 years REI veteran in NYC that lots of the info doesn’t pertain to investors in NY anyway. Is that true? Would anyone recommend doing deals for a year and then join the convention next year? Can someone in NYC please comment and clarify? Thank you!
David_NY

Re: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on February 06, 2002 at 14:09:06:

I said it before and I’ll say it again. The speakers at the CREonline convention are a bonus. The best part of the convention (IMHO) is the networking with other investors. This takes place at all hours of the night. There are 10 speakers, but there are 600 attendees that will be there. You will find attendees who have the same amount, if not more knowledge then some of the speakers. You will meet people who do things more along the lines of what you want to do then the speakers teach. You don’t get a chance to ask the speakers questions during the presentations, however you will get a chance to ask the attendees questions, etc…

It’s worth every penny.

Steve

Re: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on February 06, 2002 at 13:22:13:

I’m sure you can do a search on this website for convention and you’ll get a lot of insight as to how valuable the convention was and is.

CAREY

Re: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by Ben

Posted by Ben on February 07, 2002 at 06:16:20:

How do I find out more about the convention?

NYC: If you can make it there… (Long) - Posted by Steve-DC

Posted by Steve-DC on February 07, 2002 at 09:09:10:

David,

I can’t comment on the convention, because I’ve never been. But I did recently move out of New York after living there for 4 years and here’s what I think.

“Creative” on this board does not just mean how one does things (investing), creative is also how people get things.

If there is one place on this earth where you can be creative enough to get ANYTHING you want, it’s New York.

People come on here and complain that they can’t do lease-options in Queens. Who cares. There’s a million other ways.

There’s soooo much cash in Manhattan. If you’re cash poor, find someone to give you a pre-qual letter of sorts or proof of funds…and make offers. Get creative, don’t just make offers on condo’s and multi-units…make offers on liquor stores, deli’s, laundrymats, restaurants…what do you have to lose? By a newspaper stand…buy a hot dog stand…by an ATM machine…buy vending machines…

Get some ba**s, put on a suit, walk in, and tell them you want to buy the place! It’s New York for pete’s sake, stranger things have happened.

Go get a beer at the Bull & Bear in mid-town. When someone asks what you do, tell them you invest in real estate for people that don’t have time to do it themselves (more of those types than you can count)…

When I first moved to New York, I was running a homeless shelter in the South Bronx. After I year, I quit, decided I wanted to work on Wall Street and got creative about how I was going to do that without one IOTA of knowledge about business or finance.

Two weeks later, guess what? I was in investment banker with office that had a view of the park from 48 stories up.

I’m not trying to make myself sound important. I’m telling you that New York is the place to do it. The story hasn’t changed since the city was founded- ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

I know how overwhelming the city can be. You either take control or it controls you. Let the energy there carry you and the answers will come. Maybe you need some inspiration. Go to Blockbuster and rent the following two movies:

“New York”…the documentary by Ken Burns. Watch all seven tapes and listen to the stories about the great builders and entrepreneurs of New York City.

“Stayin’ Alive”…GET SOME ATTITUDE!!! Watch the beginning where Travolta walks down the side walk in Brooklyn, King of the City…then watch it again, then watch it again!

I hope I haven’t rambled too much and I hope you got my point…anything can be done in New York, you just have to make it happen.

-Steve

Re: NYC: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by David_NY

Posted by David_NY on February 06, 2002 at 15:15:35:

Do a simple search on “convention”, you’ll find tons of info regarding the convention:
http://www.creonline.com/cgi-bin/search_wb1/search.pl?p=1&lang=en&mode=all&q=convention
David_NY

Re: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by chalazion

Posted by chalazion on February 08, 2002 at 07:55:39:

I don’t want to beat up on any of the authors…will there be, or even a consideration of discounts (specials) on educational material for any first time convention attendees, i.e. buy x amount and receive x discount at the convention only. I know it’s not a book sale, I have purchased from creonline late last year, and know i’ll need to add to that, regardless if technique i have choosen suceeds or not.

No response needed, maybe I’ll just have to come to the convention to find out?!!!

Re: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on February 07, 2002 at 07:03:44:

Ben,

Click on the banner at the top of this page that says CREONLINE 2002 Convention. It will give you all of the speakers and information that you will need. At the bottom you will see how to make reservations for the convention.

Contact Jeanne at 888 - 901 - 4111.

Re: NYC: If you can make it there… (Long) - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on February 07, 2002 at 21:30:20:

Every time I think of New York, I think of George Constanza. If he can make it there, then anyone can. :slight_smile:

Re: NYC: CRE-Online Convention - Request Advice - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on February 06, 2002 at 15:47:33:

David,

Remember the guy that told you it doesn’t work in NYC probably doesn’t have thre proper knowledge to make it work in NYC. It’s the old lament, " that it doesn’t work in my area " LOL. Hog wash. If properly applied it can work anywhere. Sure not on every deal, but it does work and yes you should attend the convention.It will give you a kick in the pants to get you started.