Damage To Rental - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Tim Jensen on April 05, 2006 at 08:03:57:

Let me add to Matt’s post.

The tenant would have no problem sticking you with unpaid rent and utilities, so why not charge them for damages.

Also, I see nothing wrong with you charging for your time too. Aso, think about it. Because of the tenant’s damage, you have to wait that much longer to rent it.

Tim

Damage To Rental - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Kevin on April 04, 2006 at 20:07:15:

Ex tenants are asking that I review charges I took from they’re security deposit upon agreed to early termination of their lease. My charges were very reasonable and defendable w/w a bathroom door missing, unvacuumed carpet, misc garbage and a yard with an old couch, dresser, junk. On the night of lease termination the tenants mother mentioned that the bathroom floor needed to be repaired because of a leaking tub that the tenant “didn’t want to bother me with.” I have charged the tenant with this repair (and very reasonably so) but wonder of my right to have done so. She DID tell me the last day of the lease BUT this damage could have been avoided had she initially told me of the leaking tub.
Please advise.

Kevin

Re: Damage To Rental - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Kevin on April 05, 2006 at 13:11:11:

I’d like to thank those of you who took the time to answer my question. You are all right of course, I guess the answer became apparant to me as I was writing the question. I was fortunate to have re-rented in 3 days.

Thank You

Kevin

Re: Damage To Rental - Posted by JC

Posted by JC on April 05, 2006 at 10:32:43:

Besides deducting security deposition for damages, can you also use it, in case the place is not rentable immediately, charge for your holding time, say 1 month worth of lost rent?

Re: Damage To Rental - Posted by Matt (MPD) IL

Posted by Matt (MPD) IL on April 04, 2006 at 20:45:18:

That’s what the sec dep is for. You’re completely justified for charging them for repairs needed due to the tenants misuse or negligence.