Dealing with hostile tenants - Posted by Irwin(CA)

Posted by JPiper on March 27, 1999 at 17:06:03:

If you think the deal is good I would sign the counteroffer. Then it’s up to the bank to provide access for the purpose of the inspection. If they don’t, either renegotiate or walk from the deal.

Make sure that somewhere in your offer that there is a clause that says that they are required to provide access for the purpose of inspection.

JPiper

Dealing with hostile tenants - Posted by Irwin(CA)

Posted by Irwin(CA) on March 26, 1999 at 23:33:04:

I need to gain access to a tenant occupied REO to do a property inspection. The tenants (probably the previous owners) are being evicted and may not be too friendly.

Has anyone had success in a similar situation? Money may work, but I would like to have an alternate game plan.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Irwin

Re: Dealing with hostile tenants - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on March 27, 1999 at 10:18:16:

The owner, or the owner’s agents, should provide access. They can do this by providing the tenant with written notification of this inspection. That’s where I would leave this…in the lap of the owner or their agent.

If they are unable to provide you with access, then I would make my offer accordingly. Make it subject to an inspection and approval thereof. It’s not your problem to obtain access…it’s the owner’s.

JPiper

Re: Dealing with hostile tenants - Posted by Irwin(CA)

Posted by Irwin(CA) on March 27, 1999 at 16:48:25:

Jim,

The offer is contingent on approval of an inspection. And as we speak(?), I have the banks counteroffer on my desk in which they want to give me a fixed amount of time to do the inspection. Not something I’m thrilled about but the deal is so good, I don’t want to kill it over this issue. Maybe agreeing to the fixed time period is OK and just try my best to get inside the home. If I can’t do it in time then see who blinks first.

I think it’s imperative to get this deal signed up and into escrow and see how things progress. If this wasn’t so exciting would anyone do it?

Irwin