Demolish and Replace or Repair - Posted by kat

Posted by Steve-WA on March 21, 2007 at 20:06:21:

rent it (he is going to rent, right?) without divulging the age.

When the day comes to sell, then scrape it or sell it off, replace or sell the land

Demolish and Replace or Repair - Posted by kat

Posted by kat on March 21, 2007 at 18:56:19:

I have a 1969 Sentry on 3 acres. Its in very sorry condtion. I put a deposit on a rehabbed 1989 Norris.I planned to demolish the old and bring in the newer. Now the county environmental dept says I will have to have the septic and drainfields checked. But they dont know where they are because prior to 1974 permits were not needed. I suppose if they dont like the drainfields, they could make me put in a new system. The old one is grandfathered in. I hear they might also not like the free standing deck if it is not to code. In that case I would have been better off to put the new home on another part of the property ( even with the 3500 for the new drainfield clearing etc on the new additional spot ), and spend the $3000 or so it will take to make the old 1969 inhabitable. At least that way there would be 2 rentals. Any thoughts?

Re: Demolish and Replace or Repair - Posted by land-o

Posted by land-o on April 09, 2007 at 22:56:20:

I have some old trailers, Two are 1956 10’wides, they both have
expandos and are always rented, and I also have several in the 60’s, if
you keep them clean and fresh they are always in demand, you are
better off putting a second one in and fixing the old one if you can do
it for 3 grand, because you will get your money back in less than a
year.

In my neck of the woods you can’t put in a second house on a lot

Re: Demolish and Replace or Repair - Posted by kat (NC)

Posted by kat (NC) on March 22, 2007 at 07:44:03:

Once again you guys have really helped me to clarify the issue . I still havent decided which route to go , but somehow it no longer feels overwhelming! I can do this! Thanks for all the good input, kat

Re: Demolish and Replace or Repair - Posted by TT

Posted by TT on March 22, 2007 at 06:10:12:

Kat,

Another idea would be to sell the old mh to someone with handyman skills and collect lot rent from them.

Then proceed with developing the other 2 lots.

TT

I like plan B - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on March 21, 2007 at 20:04:19:

your drainfield is about to die anyway - I understand they are designed for a 30-35 year usable lifespan

Ultra-repair (remodel) the oldie, and add a second

course, I don’t know anything about the situation, so i answer at face value

Re: Demolish and Replace or Repair - Posted by Tim (NC)

Posted by Tim (NC) on March 21, 2007 at 19:40:32:

It seems to me that no matter how much money you put into the rehab it will still scream 1969. It will be hard to keep the type of tenants you want to have for long in there. It may be better to put that money into preparing the property to accept two or more rentals. For a septic system put in prior to 1974 (without permits/inspections) I’d be concerned that it may not have much life left. How about putting in the Norris with a new septic system and having the contractor “take a look” at the old system while he’s there to see if its worth dealing with. Good Luck!