Determining Whether or Not an Owner is Deceased - Posted by JoeSoCal

Posted by Joe on July 23, 2003 at 15:06:14:

THanks RL!!! I have been posting about a property I am looking at going for tax sale and I was sure the owner had passed away and I was able to get some really helpful info off that site!!

THANKS!

Determining Whether or Not an Owner is Deceased - Posted by JoeSoCal

Posted by JoeSoCal on July 23, 2003 at 03:11:49:

In searching the archives on various subjects, I have seen Ron Starr discuss his belief that many of the properties at tax sales are due to a death of the owner.

In looking at various properties in the past, both tax sale and otherwise, I have sometimes run into a situation where the owner of a property does not live at the address of the property i am interested in. Instead, I will be given a different address/mailing address.

In pursuing this course of action, I will then hit a dead end as the owner does not live at the address on record. Consequently, I reach a dead end of sorts.

Stupid question, is there a way for me to ascertain whether or not an individual is deceased or not in an economically friendly way? I am sure there is probably a rather easy answer to this question…but I would appreciate the “knock upside the numbskull.”

Thanks.

Try … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on July 23, 2003 at 12:18:33:

Check SSI Death Records. If their death was reported to SS then you’ll find it here.

RL

Re: Try … - Posted by JoeSoCal

Posted by JoeSoCal on July 24, 2003 at 11:20:48:

Thanks for the link.

I was unable to locate the person I was looking for. So, either their death has gone unreported, or they are still among the living.

I suppose a skip tracer is the best way to handle this, since time is of the essence.

Any thoughts or recommendations?