diclosure of suicide on property - Posted by Glen

Posted by Nate(DC) on July 21, 2003 at 13:55:00:

According to:

http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:P2HsqYWFi5MJ:www.aquanuke.com/print.php%3Fsid%3D290+stigmatized+properties+Ohio&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

as of 2001, there was NO requirement in Ohio that the agent disclose stigmatized properties.

NT

diclosure of suicide on property - Posted by Glen

Posted by Glen on July 20, 2003 at 10:38:20:

I recently purchased a single family house in Ohio as investment property. After closing, I was advised by several neighbors of this property, that the previous occupant committed suicide in the home. After verifying this through the police/coroner, I discovered he had hung himself from the kitchen light fixture and was dicovered three days later. When inspecting the home, I noticed that a new floor had been installed in the kitchen. I also noticed an odd odor from the kitchen that I accounted to the owner’s Doberman. Guess what I think the odor is now? The incident was not disclosed to me by either agent nor the owner(the victim’s son). I now have several concerns. A bio-hazard situation and a stigmatized property with diminished market value. Any comments or advice?

diclosure of suicide on property - Posted by John Merchantj

Posted by John Merchantj on July 20, 2003 at 11:15:49:

The Seller’s silence may have been illegal. In some states, suicide or homicide on the property must be disclosed. Don’t know what OH law is, but if you’d talk to some experienced OH RE Brokers, you’d quickly get their input & knowledge. They’ll know the answer to this.

In those states where required, it’s a BIG NO NO for the RE Agent or Broker not to have disclosed!

If it was required, but omitted, you would have a C of A (cause of action) against Seller and his Broker and Agent if there was such.

On the practical side, there are chemicals, commonly used in RE cleaning, that can effectively kill the odors. Personally have used “Kilz” which is designed for this and is easily applied.