Disclosure as a Realtor - Posted by Taylor

Posted by Taylor on February 23, 2002 at 24:53:18:

Mike,
Thanks for your response. I am aware that I need to disclose. My concern is WHEN. In an initial contact or after getting a response from my targeted prospect.
Taylor.

Disclosure as a Realtor - Posted by Taylor

Posted by Taylor on February 22, 2002 at 12:09:13:

Hi,
I am planning my first wave of marketing to out-of-state owners. I am a realtor. The question is this…When do I make the disclosure of my licensed status? In my initial (letter/ postcard) contact or after I’ve gotten a response from the prospect?

Thanks in advance,
Taylor.

PS. These properties will be targeted for lease/options. I am doing business as an LLC.

Re: Disclosure as a Realtor - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on February 23, 2002 at 21:47:17:

Taylor,

I’m licensed in Maryland with a major regional broker. I do rehabs using a c corp. A local resident complained to the RE commission that my company’s “We Buy Houses” flyer didn’t disclose that I’m a licensed agent.

My broker’s attorneys researched the issue and supported my position that my ads and flyers didn’t need to disclose my license status because my corp and I are separate entities. The corp is not a licensed agent. The corp is doing the advertising, not the licensed agent. The RE commission dismissed the complaint.

I do disclose my license status when I write up a contract…in writing. A simple addendum that says that I am a licensed agent and related to the buyer (or seller).

Ron Guy

Re: Disclosure as a Realtor - Posted by MikeT SWFLA

Posted by MikeT SWFLA on February 22, 2002 at 13:45:53:

Taylor,

If your re license is active, then you should acknowledge this and disclose that you are a professional licensee. However, if it is voluntary inactive, then I wouldn’t mention it.

Good Luck,

MikeT