Do new appliances make a sale - Posted by Dan-fl

Posted by Eric in N FL on October 03, 2003 at 15:32:33:

Barry,
I think you guys have Appliance Direct over there and they have killer deals on appliances. I have seen high end stainless steel stuff with scratches on the side for 75% off. We have one in Ocala and they are great. Congratulations on number 2.

-Eric

Do new appliances make a sale - Posted by Dan-fl

Posted by Dan-fl on October 02, 2003 at 11:29:32:

The rehab I’m trying to sell has a outdated yellow frig,stove and sink.would it be wiser to paint them or replace with new ones for a quicker sale?

Re: Do new appliances make a sale - Posted by Barry (FL)

Posted by Barry (FL) on October 02, 2003 at 18:42:53:

I think it depends on the rehab. I have 2 I am just finishing up. 1 is a 30k rehab. It’s basically a brand new house now. I spent $1500 for a side by side fridge w/ ice and water through the door, a dishwasher, Ceramic top range, and a microwave range exhaust. These were bought at the local scrath & dent place. The other one I’m doing is just a paint and carpet job in a hot area. Kitchen was remodeled about 5 years ago. Those appliances will stay. The killer is 1 took a week the other 2 months. I should make 30k each! Just depends on circumstances.

Hope This Helps,
Barry (FL)

Re: Do new appliances make a sale - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on October 02, 2003 at 15:51:27:

Dan,

I wouldnt paint them. I tried that on a frige in one of my rentals and it didnt come out that good. New or used(in good condition) will look alot better to the eye then the old yellow colored ones.

Great Success,

RichV(FL)

Re: Do new appliances make a sale - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on October 02, 2003 at 13:31:49:

If your project was a total makeover, you want the house to present as new. Then I’d replace the appliances.

If you simply brought the house up to code, used would be O.K.

Mitchell posted a reply on creonline.com in which he detailed a $5,000 rehab. I keep it on the computer desktop and read it every week to remind me of what I should be doing. Since I cut-and-paste everything, I lost the URL Here?s the relevant part:

?If redoing the kitchen, consider NOT buying appliances. Let the new buyer determine their preferences, giving them the impression that they would get if they were purchasing a new construction house. You buy and install the appliances they choose and include these appliances in the price, and at no up-charge to the buyer. This will make a very good impression. You can get prices for a range of appliances, at wholesale, and give those choices to the buyer with your up-charge built in. Then, send the buyer to the store or the distributor, knowing that they are going to pay retail. Example: “If you choose item #1 and #2, it will be included in the price, but if you want items #3 and #4 the price raises $1,000 and items #5 and #6 raise the price $2,000. You can also pick something completely different or use the appliances that you already own and you will get a $1,000 reduction in the purchase price.”

Buy used appliances… - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on October 02, 2003 at 13:03:21:

I usually head down to the used appliance store (Chuck’s Appliances here) and look through their room full of used appliances. They’re recent models (white or almond), all cleaned up and guaranteed for 90 days. Delivered they’re a little more than half the price of new ones and you can even trade in the old ones if they’re decent (if not they’ll haul them out for free).
Check the yellow pages.
All the best, Lyal

Re: Do new appliances make a sale - Posted by sam

Posted by sam on October 02, 2003 at 12:46:11:

I just completed a rehab too with same color appliances. I replaced them. Does it impact the sale…probably not but if it is a new home purchaser it looks nice. I wouldn’t recommend painting and they are cheap enough to replace for under 1K.