Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by Jim Schad

Posted by Bob(OH) on July 17, 2003 at 22:58:52:

yeahhh, I got that. Thanks for the reminder.

Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by Jim Schad

Posted by Jim Schad on July 16, 2003 at 13:06:41:

I bought a mobile and it was a repo so just sitting there with no AC, no water etc.

I borrowed the neighbors AC to vacuum and clean carpet.

I sold home and after sale the buyer says he has had to spend several hundred $ to get AC working. In Texas there is a “inhabitability” law that the home has to inhabitale prior to the sale. So essentially I could be liable to fix the AC for this guy, but he hasn’t persued that route.

My question is how can I determine if the AC works with no electric service? Can a technicial do some test onsite?

Say ,Jim, how would you like to buy a… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on July 18, 2003 at 16:22:22:

…a nice used car. Unfortunately it doesn’t have any gas in the tank so you won’t be able to hear it run before buying but I’ll give you a real good price.

Regards, doc

Re: Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by Ed C (CA)

Posted by Ed C (CA) on July 16, 2003 at 23:30:45:

I agree with ScottH. Have the electrical hooked up and you can test everything. Like furnance, stove w/electric ignitor, plugs & lights, air conditioner, evaporitive cooler & so on. A 4 or 5 ton AC will require 7500/10000 kilowatt generator at least. And they are not cheap.

Re: Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by Brian (Savannah)

Posted by Brian (Savannah) on July 16, 2003 at 22:31:32:

Using a Ohmmeter to check compressor and/or fan leads would only tell you if there was a short cicuit or a grounded system (both bad) but doesnt tell you if compressor or fan rotors are siezed. By the way, alot of generators can be had in my area for arond $500.00 that can produce 220VAC and will allow you to power up the home for punch-outs (checks)
Just my 2 cents

Good Luck in your future

Brian

Re: Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by ScottH

Posted by ScottH on July 16, 2003 at 21:13:04:

Dude,

I am sorry about the way this is going to sound but here goes. Spring for the cost of hooking up electric. Use it while you clean, make sure all the fixtures work, and then test the Air Conditioning - This MIGHT cost you $100.00 but save you THOUSANDS. I just turned on the electric on a unit, but it will be nice an COLD when a prospective buyer comes to visit!

Scott

Re: Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by Ed C (CA)

Posted by Ed C (CA) on July 16, 2003 at 18:47:17:

The answer to your question is NO! You need 220/240 volts/correct amperage to test Air Conditioning. Jury rigging from neigbor is possible but only by someone who knows what he is doing. Good luck.

Huh? nt - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on July 16, 2003 at 17:09:35:

nt

Re: Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by Jim Schad

Posted by Jim Schad on July 16, 2003 at 14:43:34:

I want to know if the tech can check the air conditioning without electricity being on.

my air con was crap, but I didn’t know it as I could not turn it on due to no electricity.

Sorry for the confusion. AC/DC vs AC

Re: Does A/C work prior to sale? - Posted by Wills

Posted by Wills on July 16, 2003 at 14:20:46:

Would the law even apply to AC? I mean AC is nice but surely a home can be “habitable” without it?

Re: Huh? nt - Posted by Wills

Posted by Wills on July 17, 2003 at 08:37:06:

This thread has turned into a Abbott & Costello routine

so it’s both?! - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 16, 2003 at 16:27:09:

this hurts me hed

as opposed to DC - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 16, 2003 at 14:21:55:

I take the meaning to be electrical system

true nt - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on July 17, 2003 at 12:50:52:

nt

Re: as opposed to DC - Posted by Wills

Posted by Wills on July 16, 2003 at 14:28:10:

Lmao…so right you are. I’m blonde forgive me:) Electricity Hmm…well I live in rural PA and we have a lot of Amish neighbors and they don’t have electric and they inhabit just fine. If you do a lot of MH deals and it is a worry you could always buy a cheap generator to check it I suppose. Handy item to have on hand anyway in case of storms.

Re: as opposed to DC - Posted by Wills

Posted by Wills on July 16, 2003 at 14:31:12:

Then again gen is 110 and going in to the MH would be 220 wouldn’t it? So scratch the gen idea. Yes a tech could check it by running conductivity tests on the lines.

Re: as opposed to DC - Posted by Brian (Savannah)

Posted by Brian (Savannah) on July 16, 2003 at 22:03:43:

Using a Ohmmeter to check compressor and/or fan leads would only tell you if there was a short cicuit or a grounded system (both bad) but doesnt tell you if compressor or fan rotors are siezed. By the way, alot of generators can be had in my area for arond $500.00 that can produce 220VAC and will allow you to power up the home for punch-outs (checks)
Just my 2 cents

Good Luck in your future

Brian

actually he did mean air conditioning - Posted by Wills

Posted by Wills on July 16, 2003 at 14:49:08:

LOl

*REALLY??? - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 16, 2003 at 16:26:09:

“I borrowed the neighbors AC to vacuum and clean carpet.”

That would suck, carrying that heavy air conditioner around, and pushing it across the rug.

Re: *REALLY??? - Posted by Bob(OH)

Posted by Bob(OH) on July 17, 2003 at 02:39:23:

You guys crack me up…
I suppose if the AC did suck…atleast he got the carpets clean…