estmating rehab costs - Posted by Mark

Posted by Clint on March 26, 2006 at 18:44:59:

You might get 3 contractors, on each job, give you estimates, after two or three you’ll get an idea. What you are asking is way, way to speculative to throw a number at. For instance a shell on a 750 foot house is going to run alot less than a 1750 foot house.

Clint

estmating rehab costs - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on March 26, 2006 at 17:20:00:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get experience at estimating rehab costs? I’m trying to estimate anything from shells to minor cosmetic repairs on rental properties or flips. Is there a good book that might help?

Re: estmating rehab costs - Posted by Dave S.

Posted by Dave S. on March 28, 2006 at 14:14:55:

construction cost calculator: www.get-a-quote.com
www.constructionworkcenter.com/calculator.html
building cost calculator : www.nt.receptive/rsmeans/calculator
Found these in Thomas Lucier’s book “The Pre-foreclosure Property Investors Kit”…AWESOME book

Re: estmating rehab costs - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on March 27, 2006 at 21:18:48:

You could try and find an experienced rehabber. A remodeler and contractor won’t be able to separate what NEEDS to be done vs. what there is to do unless they are experienced at rehabbing. You will not want to put money into things that don’t yield returns.

I have a local contractor I use that is also a rehabber, so that works for me.

Re: estmating rehab costs - Posted by Robert Allen

Posted by Robert Allen on March 26, 2006 at 23:08:18:

Home Depot has an estimating book called Means remodeling estimator or something like that. I use it all the time, John is right about the cd, I have it also. Thier are plenty of other books and software out thier to!

Re: estmating rehab costs - Posted by John

Posted by John on March 26, 2006 at 21:26:57:

Home depot has or used to have a CD program that updated cost of material and labor for contractors. Called “Pro CD” it was free. It updated prices from you local HomeDepot store and labor prices from a national database. I don’t know if it is still availabe but you should check it out.
John