ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY CENT-21? - Posted by YARRL NY

Posted by Nate(DC) on July 24, 2003 at 10:42:39:

Since they (the people you think are jerking you around) maintain said book, why would you expect it to be reliable?

NT

ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY CENT-21? - Posted by YARRL NY

Posted by YARRL NY on July 24, 2003 at 07:32:47:

HI,I HAVE JUST LISTED A HOME TO SELL THROUGH MLS.I AM HAVING SOME DIFFICULTY WITH APPOINTMENTS THAT MLS BROKERS MAKE WITH THE LISTING OFFICE.IT SEEMS THAT THE LISTING OFFICE IS MAKING APPOINTMENTS WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE.I AM EITHER NOT HOME OR A MLS BROKER WILL COME UNANNOUNCED AND SAY THAT HE HAD AN APPOINTMENT. WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE OR WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PREVENT THIS AND WHO SHOULD I MAKE A COMPLAINT TO. THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE. YARRL NY

Re: ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY CENT-21? - Posted by Scott Shubert

Posted by Scott Shubert on July 28, 2003 at 14:15:20:

When you list a house on the MLS the listing agent is supposed to put a lockbox on the house and agents are supposed to bring buyers to the house and show it. If it is difficult for them to show such as having to make an appointment in advance they will just show other houses and yours will not sell. You must be prepared to allow your house to be shown anytime with a minimal advanced notice or if they call and there is no answer they will show it. If you don’t want this you shouldn’t list your home. When selling your home you must make some personal sacrifices and consider that it is no longer your home. Pack away all your stuff make the house look like a model home and for best results, move out. Of course that isn’t possible for everyone but if you don’t want people coming over to look at the house unannounced they will go down the street and look at someone else’s house and yours will still be sitting there for sale months later. Or call an investor and they will buy it in one week. That’s one of the benefits we offer.

Re: ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY CENT-21? - Posted by Martin lo

Posted by Martin lo on July 24, 2003 at 10:57:54:

Yarrl, one thing you can do is to ask your listing agent for a copy of the mls information sheet, there should be a heading that reads “Showing Instructions”, when other realtors need to show your home, they should go by whatever is says there. It may say "call first, then go direct, 24hrs required notice to show, do not show without appointment, etc. get a copy from your agent and find out. Then if someone tries to show your home without following this guidelines, then it is up to you if you want to let them get in or not. There are a lot of agents that just don’t care about these instructions and they just try to show homes to their clients and make the listing offices look bad to home owners. Also, make sure you get a business card from every agent that walks throuh your front door and when you are not home, leave a note asking for agents to leave one, so at least you know who was in your home when you were absent.

Good luck on having your home SOLD!

Re: ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY CENT-21? - Posted by BrokerScott (Mich)

Posted by BrokerScott (Mich) on July 24, 2003 at 09:42:15:

Or maybe the MLS agents are trying to make your listing agent/office look bad. As mentioned by ‘Keith’, you listing contract should have the showing instructions listed clearly and your MLS listing should have them as well. One more thing- There was a woman going around the Kalamazoo area showing up at listed homes, claiming to be an agent that simply WAS NOT! Wasn’t clear whether she was just checking out houses without going through a Realtor or casing them for a rip off. Final word- If no appointment then no entry. Best, Scott

Re: ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY CENT-21? - Posted by Keith

Posted by Keith on July 24, 2003 at 07:49:43:

Hi YARRL NY,

I am sure people are going to complain about your CAPS. Please don’t use them on a message board. It is the equivalent of shouting.

As for your question, your listing agent should have asked you at the time of contract signing on your specific rules for showing your home. I would call your listing agent first, but if that doesn’t work call the office broker and let them know your dissatisfaction with the showings. You can place specific requirements as far as 24 hour notice, must reach me by cell phone, etc… before anyone can walk through your home. Of course, you want to be as flexible and accomodating as possible since you are trying to sell your home quickly correct?

Keith (CT)

Re: ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY CENT-21? - Posted by Yarrl NY

Posted by Yarrl NY on July 24, 2003 at 08:31:23:

Thanks for your response.I think the listing agent’s office is just trying to make it difficult for mls brokers,so as to not split commission. Do I have any rights as far as access to the phone call log book of appointments? Thanks again Yarrl NY