Expired MLS Listings and how to get them... - Posted by Matt KY

Posted by melodee on July 07, 2002 at 15:00:32:

KL, Can you tell me where you find these delivery companies—yellow pages–college kids? I’d like to know how to cut costs:)
Thanks!
Melodee

Expired MLS Listings and how to get them… - Posted by Matt KY

Posted by Matt KY on July 07, 2002 at 12:22:58:

Ive read through all the archives on expired listings and found so far…

Contact agents, appraisers, and brokers until you can find one that will give you expired listings. Make sure and tell them to look for EXPIRED, WITHDRAWN, and OFF MARKET, because agents sometimes take listings off the MLS right before they expire so they wont show up as EXPIRED.
Offer them $200-$500 for each deal you do from their listings. sounds easy enough…

BUT, agents appraisers and brokers have mls access. who else has it?

and IF i cant get anyone to give me the listings, realtor.com has all the current listings. would sending a postcard to all of those and waiting for them to expire get me any deals? surely someone has tried that before.

if anyone has anything to add, id love to hear it!!

call a broker - Posted by Donald

Posted by Donald on July 07, 2002 at 16:10:34:

Matt

Take it easy, slow down…

Just call and visit a broker.
Don’t tell them that you are going to be a ‘big time real estate guru’, ‘flipping and dipping and a zillion no-money-down deals’ (they will show you the door).
Ask them to show you a couple of properties that are listed ‘as is’. (get a feel of the market and build a relationship with the broker)
my 2 cents

Donald

Re: Expired MLS Listings and how to get them… - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 07, 2002 at 15:00:16:

Matt,

You wrote:

"I’ve read through all the archives on expired listings and found so far… "

Good, you’re doing your homework!!

“Contact agents, appraisers, and brokers until you can find one that will give you expired listings. Make sure and tell them to look for EXPIRED, WITHDRAWN, and OFF MARKET, because agents sometimes take listings off the MLS right before they expire so they won’t show up as EXPIRED.”

Good advice - it’s amazing what some agents will do to manipulate the MLS.

"Offer them $200-$500 for each deal you do from their listings. sounds easy enough… "

Yup, pretty easy. I’ve found expired listings to be a pretty good source of good leads - a number of which turn into good deals.

“BUT, agents, appraisers and brokers have mls access. who else has it?”

Before you worry about who else might have MLS access, contact all of the agents, appraisers and brokers first. I suspect that you’ll find you don’t have to concern yourself with who else might have access.

“and IF i cant get anyone to give me the listings, realtor.com has all the current listings. would sending a postcard to all of those and waiting for them to expire get me any deals? surely someone has tried that before.”

You were already given some very sound answers when you posted this same question yesterday. Did you think by repeating the question, you’d get someone to encourage the idea? Well, go ahead - try it out. Do a test mailing and see for yourself what kind of response you get. Personally, I think you’ll be wasting your time and money, but if you’re bound and determined to pursue this ill-conceived marketing approach, so be it. Give it a try and let us know how you make out. Who knows - maybe you’ve discovered an effective new marketing technique.

“if anyone has anything to add, id love to hear it!!”

I’ve already said enough. Besides it’s just my 2¢.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Expired MLS Listings and how to get them… - Posted by KL

Posted by KL on July 07, 2002 at 13:58:55:

Matt,
Sending post cards to every home listed on Realtor.com would be throwing your money out the window. The houses are usually brand new listings with a 6 month listing period, or they are very old and have been sold already. I know, I am a Realtor/Investor.
Your best bet is to find a Realtor to pull up those expired listings if that’s the way you want to go. Usually they will do it for free.
I personally don’t go after expired listings. It’s alot of money to send out those postcards every month. Why don’t you make up flyers and have a delivery company deliver them to houses in a specific area you are interested in. In my area it only costs .12 for each flyer delivered w/a minimum of 500 flyers. I get a much better response dong that, than mailing post cards. Plus it’s half the cost! I do this for both my Real Estate and my investing. Hope this helps and good luck…K