FEMA auctioning off trailers at fire-sale prices - Posted by MaxC

Posted by Joe on March 08, 2007 at 13:14:20:

I found a bunch of practically new travel trailers for low bid prices. But bidding doesn’t end for another week, so the bids could go up. I didn’t see any mobile homes right away.

FEMA auctioning off trailers at fire-sale prices - Posted by MaxC

Posted by MaxC on March 08, 2007 at 08:34:50:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17509045/

Anyone know what the auction website address is?

"To dispose of the used trailers, FEMA is operating an auction through a government Web site. Wednesday evening, the agency had 47 trailers on sale from its Hope depot. Bids ranged from $5,191 for a 2006 Coachmen Spirit of America trailer with possible water damage and a missing stove grate, battery and other items, to $12,600 for a 2006 Sunnybrook RV Sunset Creek trailer with “no obvious exterior damage.”

Re: FEMA auctioning off trailers - Posted by Kathleen

Posted by Kathleen on March 12, 2007 at 14:10:53:

I have seen the FEMA trailers in place at disaster areas. They are travel trailers.

Buyer beware - Posted by Mr. H

Posted by Mr. H on March 09, 2007 at 10:10:29:

If these are the ones that were provided to displaced folks after Katrina and Rita, you need some knowledge of how to detect gas leaks and electrical problems.

Several of these have burned up due to eletrical issues and my dad’s friend lost his son when the one he was living in exploded. The guy lit a cigarette which lit the gas from the uknown and undetected leak.

Several thousand of these trailers are stored in southern Mississippi right on I59. You can see them from the interstate. Acres and Acres of trailers rotting away in the Mississippi climate.

Re: FEMA auctioning off trailers - Posted by TeddyB_SC

Posted by TeddyB_SC on March 08, 2007 at 21:39:26:

They’ve been auctioning them for some time now. I guess with hurricane season starting in June, they need to get rid of them. That way when a storm hits, they can use our tax dollars to buy brand new ones.

TeddyB_SC

Re: FEMA auctioning off trailers - Posted by Brian-TX

Posted by Brian-TX on March 08, 2007 at 09:53:24:

I think they are being sold somewhere on this site.

http://gsaauctions.gov

I looked around a bit yesterday, but that site was SLOW so I gave up.

Brian