financail calculators which brand/model is best value - Posted by J.D.[Journey] Swindell

Posted by CarolFL on May 16, 1999 at 09:40:37:

John, is the HP 19b or the 17B the one you would suggest for those of us who will be with you in July? My hubby absconded with the one we used to keep “in the office” … it’s now in his truck, which means it’s time for me to get my own. Look forward to your advice.
Thanks.
Carol

financail calculators which brand/model is best value - Posted by J.D.[Journey] Swindell

Posted by J.D.[Journey] Swindell on May 14, 1999 at 15:26:58:

I need to purchase a new hand held battery
opperated
financial calculator [mine quit]. I would like to
know what brand/model others are using and which
one would give the best value for the price. Also,
which one would have the least amount of steps to
arrive at an answer [my old one had exsessive
steps…a real time waster]. I do no need stastical
or graph functions…I have calculators that will do those functions. Please include the postive as well as negaive aspets.
Thanks for your help, J.D. [Journey] Swindell,
jdandjs@aol.com & jdandjs@webtv.net

Re: financail calculators which brand/model is best value - Posted by Robert (AL)

Posted by Robert (AL) on May 14, 1999 at 22:57:47:

I’m just starting out so I was looking for something that would be easy to learn. I came across the TI BAII Plus. It was only about $30 and I was using it to figure payments, yields, etc. in no time.

Just my suggestion.

Robert (AL)

Re: financail calculators which brand/model is best value - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on May 14, 1999 at 19:32:56:

I love technology! I hate lugging around a lot of stuff that I don’t need too … So that said, I’ve got a little financial calculator that doesn’t really “emulate” anything … fill in anything you know and solve for what you don’t and then do your cash flows, amortizations and what not and it runs on the Palm Pilot III … so that’s what I carry and use when I don’t want to fire up the laptop and I’m not at my desk (where I’ve got full blown financial models in Excel).

My 0.02

Hank

I use the BA Real Esate Calculator by TI. - Posted by Lonnie Turner

Posted by Lonnie Turner on May 14, 1999 at 19:12:32:

It works just fine.

What realtors use… - Posted by leapfrog

Posted by leapfrog on May 14, 1999 at 16:32:00:

Texas Instruments BA-35. It has all the right buttons for calculating any financial stuff dealing with real estate—present value, future value etc. etc. I’ve had my (2) for years and the cell still hasn’t gone. I paid something like $35-45.

Years ago - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 14, 1999 at 18:14:31:

The TI BA35 is much less popular now than in the past. The NAR insists on the HP10B in the CCIM courses. I don’t know why. For a few bucks more you can have an HP17B or HP19B - by far the best tool available.

There is much more education available on the HP calculators. For a beginner the BA35 can handle basic functions, yet the manual is not that great when it comes to real estate. If you want to learn the calculator inside and out - I’d suggest the HP12C. It was the standard for many years and there are many books, videos and live courses available.

K.I.S.Silly - Posted by leapfrog

Posted by leapfrog on May 15, 1999 at 09:09:38:

I agree with the other comments—just because there are others that have a million buttons and it is trendy to use etc. etc. doesn’t mean the TI BA-35 doesn’t do a great job. As for learning the calculator—you can follow instructions given with the calculator OR I’ve come across a book entitled
The Business Analyst Guidebook ($14.95) with pictures and instructions. It goes through more applications than any would need.

Depends on your needs - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 15, 1999 at 17:31:26:

If someone just wants to figure a loan payment any financial calculator will do. The simpler the better. If there is a need for any serious financial analysis like an Internal Rate of Return on an uneven cash flow, then a serious calculator is best.

Plus, I like quality. My HP’s have lasted 10-20 years. One even made it through a devastating fire that destroyed everything around it. My average TI calculator quit within a few months.

There are few calculators I haven’t used. I’ve taught courses on discounting and the time value of money for over 20 years.

I love my HP19B. I’ve taught hundreds of people how to use that calculator (and the 17B) and it is quite simple to use and learn.

Re: Depends on your needs - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on May 16, 1999 at 11:55:50:

John,

I agree. I have supplied the Western Hemisphere with HP12-C’s. They’re like fountain pens with me… everytime I leave an appointment I leave one behind, forget where I left it and have to go buy another one.

I have yet to find a function I can’t handle with the HP12-C (including amortization, IRR’s, implicit rates, uneven cash-flows, lease vs. buy, etc.). Real Estate investing is specific enough that we really don’t need much in the way of function: amortization, implicit rates, lease vs. buy, etc… that’s about it.

Bill