Finding Trustees - Posted by AJ

Posted by dutch on May 29, 2006 at 22:31:15:

See if you can find the deed that transfers the property into the trust. Usually but not always it will mention the trustee. Also, try tracking down the Grantor, as that very well may be the trustee, or know who is.

Dutch
OKHomesavers

Finding Trustees - Posted by AJ

Posted by AJ on May 29, 2006 at 16:23:28:

I need help finding the trustees of a trust who owns an abandoned property. Any suggestions on how to locate them and get an offer in their hands? Thanks to all for the help!

Re: Finding Trustees - Posted by Thomas K. Standen

Posted by Thomas K. Standen on May 30, 2006 at 09:01:14:

You should be aware the Trustee of any trust, depending on how the trust was structured, will not divulge any information regarding the trust. This is one of several reasons you use a trustee.

Your challenge will be to determine the beneficiaries of the trust, especially, if the trust is one where it is beneficiary directed.

As a corporate trustee when we receive calls seeking information regarding any of the trusts our standard answer is ?do you have written permission of the beneficiaries of the trust to obtain information on the trust?, if not we cannot assist you.

Know this is not what you are looking for, however, have found it best to be straight forward and tell it like it really is.

Thomas K. Standen
Equity Holding Corporation

Re: Finding Trustees - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on May 29, 2006 at 17:13:03:

AJ,
Since you already know a trust owns the property, perhaps this is advice too late, but where do the tax bills get sent, and are they current?
If they are, mail something there.

Also, how long has the property been vacant?
Talk to neighbors, they may know who owns it, or relatives of the title holder.

Is the trustee a person, or an entity?
If an entity, simply figuring out where its registered (what state), can yield a search direction.
If a person, skip trace them, its not that expensive, most can be done for less than $100.
Also, see if there were any court actions filed with regard to the property, a past foreclosure, or eviction, even better, would perhaps lead you to a contact.
Who prepared the deed transferring title to the trust?
Was this done a long time ago? (as in, more than 10 years?), or more recent?
Many times, the deed is stamped with contact info for an attny who prepared the deed etc, they may help, or at the least, take your contact info, and pass it on to their former client.

Also, check past utility bills etc, some locales, this is public record, and can be obtained with a freedom of info request from the city/county, water, electric etc.
See who had the last account there, and if the billing address was different from the property address?

Aside from that, a return address request or whatever they call it at the post office to the last known address of the owner might get you forwarding info.

Good luck, and HTH a little,
Jim FL

Re: Finding Trustees - Posted by AJ

Posted by AJ on May 30, 2006 at 09:59:17:

I’m aware of the trustees role, since I used to work for a trust company. Since it is so difficult to get ahold of the beneficiary, I figured my best bet is to present the offer to the trustee. It may not be a revocable trust, and the trustee would be the one making the choices in that case.

Re: Finding Trustees - Posted by AJ

Posted by AJ on May 29, 2006 at 19:04:39:

Thank you very much Jim, although now reading the reply I should have been more specific. How do I find additional information of a trust, i.e. who the trustee is?

I found a property that really interests me, but all I have to go with now is the name of the Trust that owns it, and a PO BOX… any ideas? Thanks to all again!