Found error in deed...should I duplicate it? - Posted by greg

Posted by William Bronchick on September 17, 2003 at 20:00:05:

A corrective deed is commonly used to fix minor title flaws like this. Take the original deed you received, hand write the change, then re-record it. Assuming you did this transaction originally with title insurance, I would contact the title company first to fix the problem.

Found error in deed…should I duplicate it? - Posted by greg

Posted by greg on September 16, 2003 at 21:59:57:

I am in the process of deeding a duplex rental property (that is currently in my name) into a land trust with my LLC as the beneficiary.

Anyway, when I was getting ready to have the deed prepared to go to my landtrust I noticed that the deed that I received when I bought the property had an error. It says that the lots are according to a plat recorded “September 31, 1890.” Hmmm September 31st? When I went to the courthouse to look at the original plat I discovered that it was actually recorded September 2, 1890 but that an error was made at one point where it was copied down as having been recorded September 3, 1890 and later changed to September 31, 1890. Everything else was correct. The only error has been the date it was actually first recorded.

So when I deed to the landtrust should I just duplicate the error and put the legal description down exactly as I received in my deed?

Thanks for your help.