General Contractor or Handyman - Posted by N2 R.E.

Posted by Jonathan Rexford on December 24, 1999 at 07:44:20:

I would always reccommend a contractor. I am a General Contractor so I am a little Bias on this particular subject. It really depends what type of rehab work is being done. If you have to get a permit… then definitely use a GC if its just cosmetic and a little lite carpentry use a GREAT handyman. If you are a little short on cash the GC may pitch in for a slice of the pie. I am doing one right now that I am adding on a bedroom and master bath and roof upgrading the electric and new a/c. So you can see I need a permit for this type of construction.

Please consider the following:
Purchased home
have home drawn up and egineered
take to building department for their blessing 5-6 weeks

Start work another 8 weeks inspections by the following

A/C Inspector
Electrical Inspector
Plumbing Inspector
Roof Inspector
Framing Inspector

All these people looking at the job that you are doing. And if their is a problem LOOK OUT the LAWYERS are coming. So you may save a few bucks by using a handyman, but in the long run a GC is going to make your life a lot easier. I would find a GC that is doing the type of rehab work that you are looking to do. If you have any question please give me a email

Just my 2 cents
Jonathan Rexford
Rexford Incorporated
Licensed General Contractor
Licensed Mortgage Broker

General Contractor or Handyman - Posted by N2 R.E.

Posted by N2 R.E. on December 24, 1999 at 02:06:12:

I am in the process of starting the rehab of my first project. However, I’m not sure if I should go the general contractor route or handyman route?

The general contractor is appealing because I have a full time job which leaves me little time to manage the process. It’s also appealing because they have experience managing projects such as this.

The handyman is appealing simply because I can save 20% - 50% in cost. Also, because it will force me to get involved and find time (lunch breaks, vacation time, weekends, etc.) to learn about this portion of the business (the rehab itself).

All suggestions are welcomed!!

Thanks,

N2 R.E.