Get tongue tied when speaking with people - Posted by ssg

Posted by Kenneth Hocking on June 18, 2007 at 15:59:51:

TOASTMASTERS is a great group to learn to conquer this …google a club and join AND GO SPEAK to Strangers right away…

Also Make pitch after pitch each saturday on Marginal deal houses until you get comfortable… wiffle Ball approach swiNG SWIng swing UNTIL YOU GET THE RYTHM…

Get tongue tied when speaking with people - Posted by ssg

Posted by ssg on June 18, 2007 at 12:39:18:

What would any of you suggest I do. I guess I get nervous and can’t present my offers correctly. Even if I do a little practice and do so motivational reading. I’m sure there is others that had this problem or still might. I know the saying is practice makes perfect. Any helpful hints to deal with this?

Just Spit it Out - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on June 19, 2007 at 05:45:39:

I had that problem in high school in the context of GIRLS. didn’t have a clue what to say or how to get a date. and BOY, did I need a date.

I figured it out halfway through college, and made up for a lot of lost time.

sometimes, you have to get out of your own way. what’s the worst thing a girl (or a seller) could do or say?

well, they could laugh at you. never had a girl do that, but I’ve had some sellers and brokers do it. an when it happens, I know I did my job. I always want to test the location of the lowest possible price.

Re: Get tongue tied when speaking with people - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on June 19, 2007 at 24:09:22:

Make more offers. As you get more experience you will gain in
confidence. Having an offer accepted will also help a great deal.

Mostly you just need to let time pass and practice. No one is great
when they start. Some struggle more than others. The winners
continue until they get good.

You can do just fine. Mostly it is about numbers and contract terms so
keep the other side focused on what is written and work through the
documents in order. That way when you leave they will still know what
the offer says and what is important.

Note that right now you are not seen as a slick shark that is there to
rip them off. Hence being less than smooth has advantages.

Good luck.

John Corey

Re: Get tongue tied when speaking with people - Posted by Penny

Posted by Penny on June 18, 2007 at 14:08:28:

It’s kind of like public speaking - at first many people are nervous, then with practice they may still be nervous but are able to overcome it. It’s all about expanding your comfort zone.

Start by writing a script and practice saying the words out loud, even if it is to your dog (if you have one). As your comfort level grows, you can reduce the script to key sentences, phrases and bullet points. Practice speaking from these.

You can also practice with family, friends, etc. Whether it is in person or on the phone, practice speaking aloud.

Motivational reading is fine, but it is the real practice that will help the butterflies in your stomach fly in formation!

Bottom line, you are selling yourself and your deal to the seller. So your level of confidence in your offer is just as important.

Good luck!

Re: Get tongue tied when speaking with people - Posted by ssg

Posted by ssg on June 18, 2007 at 14:27:46:

Thanks Penny, I have no problem with the people I know its new people. I have done all you mentioned and more.