getting broken into - Posted by Sue

Posted by E.Eka on October 18, 2003 at 17:03:48:

No, but you probably wouldn’t want to clean up the dog excrements the next day either. HA ha ha!

getting broken into - Posted by Sue

Posted by Sue on October 16, 2003 at 15:59:34:

We are in the process of rehabbing and the work is (was) almost done. In the last two days the home has gotten broken into and each day the damage was worse. Any suggestions on how to stop this.
Thank you in advance for your help
Sue

Get 2 Pitbulls in there - Posted by cajkin

Posted by cajkin on October 18, 2003 at 09:04:15:

Get 2 pitbulls in there, and a “beware of dog” sign. Would you want to break into a house with 2 pitbulls running around it ? End of story.

Re: getting broken into - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on October 16, 2003 at 22:22:45:

If you don’t get someone to house sit for you as suggested below, you might try putting up some type of covering over a window in a room and leave the light on in there to make look like someone is in there. And leave a cheap radio on in there.

If they are breaking in through the door get some of the tape that says “DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE” and put across the doors. And possibly the windows.

I had this happen to me in a not good area early this year. I figured it was someone on the street that was aware of what was being done. I went to several of the neighbors and asked if they knew anything. I knew that wouldn’t but my purpose was to plant a seed. I told them i just couldn’t afford to pay for any more break ins so i was coming over with my gun and stay there, having a friend drop me off. (wasn’t about to leave my vehicle there). Of course i wasn’t going to do that but i didn’t have any more break ins. One could get in trouble for laying in wait with a gun…so no one go try it.

Good advice - Posted by Carmen_FL

Posted by Carmen_FL on October 16, 2003 at 16:33:13:

Jim has given you pretty much all the good advice. First investment in any rehab property = alarm system attached to police headquarters. The small cost is worth it, and most buyers appreciate it, so no harm done.

Reminds me of a house we had in a not-so-great area that was going to be used for Section 8 rental … we got broken into nightly for almost a week … appliances taken, even doorknobs. We made friends with the drug dealer across the street and asked him to keep an eye on things … end of problem. We sold that house as quickly as we possibly could, but it was a good lesson in a) finding the right neighborhood and b) finding the right security!

getting broken into…stinks! - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on October 16, 2003 at 16:17:30:

Sue,
As the previous poster suggested, perhaps hire someone to sit on the house overnight?
Where are they getting in?
Broken windows?
Would an alarm system help?
some places install them for FREE, and as was suggested here some time ago, often the alarm contract is assignable to a new buyer of the house, or moveable to another house of yours.

You might see about (don’t take this as anti-female, I’m simply expressing how I was raised), getting a male to stay there at night.
I would never suggest a female stay overnight alone in a situation like that, sorry, the ex-jailer in me.

or
Get a dog in there?
Can you secure their entry point somehow?
Is the place lit up?
Any neighbors you could give a little something to, for looking it over?
Call the police, if you have not already, and have them add it to an “Extra-patrol” list, meaning, as they are working the area, they just frquently drive by and light it up, knowing that nobody should be there.
Heck, some local police dept.'s allow their cops to work “Details” or “Extra-duty” for private companies.
It costs more than private security, but is better in my opinion.
Might find a cop to sit on it.
How bad was the damage?
A lot of loss?
Insurance?
What do they suggest?
What will they cover?

Good luck, and as long as the place is well lit, and looks occupied somehow, most likely, they’ll stay way.
Maybe set up a camera as well, and make it KNOWN that its there.

Good luck,
Jim FL

Re: getting broken into - Posted by E.Eka

Posted by E.Eka on October 16, 2003 at 16:02:54:

Maybe it would be worth it to hire some form of security. If the work is almost done, that would help. How far are you from selling it? Are there police cars on that block?

Or maybe you can wait in the house with a firearm and surprise the burglar with some hot lead! Joking of course…I thought it was hilarious.