Getting out of a lease after purchasing a home - Posted by Shannon

Posted by Nate(DC) on July 23, 2003 at 23:24:27:

You should have researched whether or not this law exists BEFORE moving out! Otherwise you may find that you are stuck! I would, for one, be very surprised to find that such a law existed. I don’t know of any other jurisdiction that has one.

NT

Getting out of a lease after purchasing a home - Posted by Shannon

Posted by Shannon on July 23, 2003 at 20:56:01:

My fiancee and I have recently purchased a home and are having a hard time getting out of our apartment lease. We reside in Ohio and have been told by many of our friends that there is a law in Ohio that says if a tenant purchases a house, they can get out of their lease without being penalized. Is this true and if so can you provide me with the proper documentation? We have had problems with our landlords not completing repairs in our apartment with out numerous phone calls and letters, which is one of the reasons we began looking for a house of our own. Can they really make us pay on the apartment for the rest of our lease?

Re: Getting out of a lease after purchasing a home - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on July 24, 2003 at 22:32:31:

Well, that’s a new one. I’d be surprised if it was true.

However, if you leave and your landlord starts rattling his sabre, then ask your attorney to argue “constructive eviction”. That means he didn’t “actually” evict you by telling you to leave, but he made the place unlivable,with all the repairs and so forth.

Good Luck,
Tom (not an attorney)