Goofy Calls from Bandit Signs - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jim FL on July 29, 2005 at 10:04:17:

sure, keep thinking that way Jack, really, then harrass my business and see where it lands you? (JAIL)

Two steps ahead?
Don’t think so…and in fact, HAVE arrested people for less…

Don’t push the envelope, what comes around goes around Jack.

Jim FL

Goofy Calls from Bandit Signs - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on July 26, 2005 at 09:59:56:

Here’s two calls I took last night from a bandit sign that read “Handyman Special 112K” with my phone number at the bottom. The sign was placed in Pasco County Florida - known to be poplulated with a few rednecks (not that they are bad people) BUT…

ME: “Hello.”
CALLER: “I would like to apply for the 112K per year special handyman job.”
ME: “Sorry for the confusion but I’m selling a house. Have a nice day.”

Twenty minutes later the guys sister must have called…

ME: “Hello.”
CALLER: “What kind of car are you selling, and how much work does it need?”
ME: “Actually it’s a house.”
CALLER: “You’re selling a house for one hundred twelve dollars?”
ME: “No, it’s $112,000.00.”
CALLER: “Your sign said 112K. Doesn’t the K stand for cash?”
ME: “Umm, no, but thanks for calling.”

Anyone else get these calls?

Hard to do in REI… - Posted by SteveA (FL)

Posted by SteveA (FL) on July 27, 2005 at 09:39:06:

I still find one of the hardest things to do is to step outside of the box and NOT think of property from your own point of view. I don’t know how many friends/relatives I’ve had tell me “Well I wouldn’t pay that much.” or “I wouldn’t live in that n’hood.” or “I would never buy that house.” Of course, it’s all relative to demographics, but they all (and me sometimes) look at it personally.

Gotta treat things very basically and spell it all out.

So how do we apply for that handyman job anyway?

Dude, I live in Pasco county… - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on July 27, 2005 at 08:13:52:

… and it ain’t quite so rednecky anymore. Not in my neck of the woods anyway, in Land O Lakes. I wish it were (more rednecky), then prices might still be reasonable. In my area, it ain’t rednecks, it’s yuppie arseholes who don’t let me work in sets on machines at the gym, while they are sitting on the equipment babbling away in self-importance on their cell phones.

I mean, they just put up a freakin’ STARBUCKS for pete’s sake. The house next door to mine, same stats, but with a pool, just sold for 280k. WTF!!! The people moving in are nice folks from Texas, who moved themselves, with two Uhaul trucks. How do people who have to move themselves afford 280k? This market is insane… I wanna move to Knoxville, where there’s REAL rednecks, not “faux” redneck, LOL…

Re: Goofy Calls from Bandit Signs - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on July 26, 2005 at 23:03:49:

This only tangently related, but amusing. Yesterday I arrived home to find a Pizza flyer taped to my garage door. I called the company and asked them to remove it, they said they would. This mourning it was still there. I called them back today noonish and told them I was going to call back and hangup every five minutes until the flyer was removed. They eventually removed the flyer.

Re: Goofy Calls from Bandit Signs - Posted by Dons

Posted by Dons on July 26, 2005 at 11:22:14:

Jeff,

The bandit signs I see selling handyman specials around here all have the dollar amount written out $112,000…and they often have the word “House” or “House For Sale” at the top.

And yes, using bandit signs to sell a house is a good idea…gets your “for sale” info in many more places than just the property’s front yard.

The first “rule” of advertising is to be absolutely clear with the wording of your message because there really are some people out there who are dumber than a box of rocks. (I’ve delt with a few.)…And you may have had a practical joker calling you.

Re: Goofy Calls from Bandit Signs - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 26, 2005 at 10:32:15:

To be fair, using K for thousand is really a RE and money lingo thing.
Selling with a bandit sign? Why do you need to do that? Why not put a
sign in front of the house so people will be more likely to put two and
two together?

Where I am, the big confusion is probate…sounds too much like
probation. They know it’s something that has something to do with
the court…And since they are behind on their child support payments,
they know probate can’t be a good thing! :slight_smile: Kristine

So committing a crime is okay then? - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on July 27, 2005 at 17:04:56:

Strange,
In my opinion, the pizza place owner/manager/whoever was a whimp.
The simple way to handle it would have been to say, “sorry for the inconvenience, we will make sure those who distribute our flyers do not include your home in their route, just take the flyer, and I’ll tell you what, bring it in with you next time for $5/off your next purchase, just give me your name, number and address to put you on the ‘do not advertise here’ list”.

Then, IF followed up with the threat of the 5 minute apart hangup calls, let them come.
After the first three calls came in from you, and you hung up, to harrass the place, a quick call to the police, with the info provided, a complaint signed, charges pressed, for telephone harrassment, and I bet, you’d rethink this strategy of harrassing a business on their business phone line, thereby hurting their bottom line.

Not a very smart move there Jack.

Good thing the pizza guy was weak too.

Have a nice day!
Jim FL

Oh, Kay Kristine - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on July 26, 2005 at 19:38:55:

K also stands for 1000’s of bits (or is it bytes, oh dear?!) in computer lingo. As in a 64K processor… Something from when you were a knee-biter, probably :wink:

Re: So committing a crime is okay then? - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on July 29, 2005 at 08:47:08:

But Officer I called the owner of the Pizza shop up and asked him to remove the sign from my garage door, and I told him that I would call back and hang up every five minutes to remind him. He agreed to those terms, I don’t understand the complaint!!

If you have not figured out that I am two steps ahead of you, then you have not been paying attention.

Re: Oh, Kay Kristine - Posted by Mike (Seattle WA)

Posted by Mike (Seattle WA) on July 27, 2005 at 13:24:02:

Careful, a computer geek here letting you know that K in computer land actually stands for 1024 or 2^10.

:slight_smile:

Re: Oh, Kay Kristine - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 27, 2005 at 10:09:08:

Hey. When I was a knee-biter you were probably an ankle biter…

We all know that K stands for 1000 but it’s not everyday lingo for a lot
of people. And a lot of people are who a bandit sign is trying to reach.
Kristine