Has anyone heard of this?? - Posted by DavePA

Posted by NCPaul on February 08, 2002 at 18:16:40:

I couldn’t remember the details of the law-or the basics-but Jack has hit it on the head!

I’d take his advice and find another way to get a place.

Has anyone heard of this?? - Posted by DavePA

Posted by DavePA on February 08, 2002 at 16:33:23:

It is called: “Adverse Possession” Basically, it is a way to get a property that is abandoned for free. I want to know if this is true? Thx, dave

In Pa. its 21 years… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on February 08, 2002 at 20:55:18:

of open, notorious, hostile, exclusive. In CA its only 5 years. Here in Pa. the 21 years is a killer, but it is possible. But you could meet all the requirements including pay the taxes for 20 years and 11 months, then somebody comes out of the blue to challenge you and you lose it all. If its vacant land in PA you must fence it to show your exclusive use. If the real owner gives you permission, then you blow the adverse possession as it is no longer hostile or adversarial. Good Luck.

David Krulac
Central Pennsylvania

It’s taught in RE Class - Posted by NCPaul

Posted by NCPaul on February 08, 2002 at 18:13:08:

When I took my RE Agent classes they covered it briefly. From what I understand technically you can do something of the sort but it’s got some time restrictions that keep this route from being an efficient way to do things. (Also it’s not a cut and dry thing to obtain a property through adverse possession.) If you post this in the legal forum I’m sure they can give you a full explaination of this.

Re: Has anyone heard of this?? - Posted by jack

Posted by jack on February 08, 2002 at 17:07:28:

Sure, just live there for 7 years without permission and it’s yours. Of course the owner can have you arrested and thrown out. Worse yet he can let you live there for 6 1/2 years, let you fix up the place, GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO BE THERE, and then throw you out. If you look on old fences in rural areas you will find signs saying "permission to pass is granted but may be revoked at any time. This sign prevents adverse possession because the 7 years must be without the owners permission. Find another way to get a place.

Also gotta pay the taxes while you’re there…(nt) - Posted by lyal

Posted by lyal on February 08, 2002 at 19:29:40:

nt

Illinois is 20 years. Same problems. NTXT - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on February 08, 2002 at 18:57:03:

nt