help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Green

Posted by Nate(DC) on February 04, 2002 at 21:27:17:

Travis,

I think you’re right that many sellers have a low opinion of real estate agents. However, I’d add that many sellers think investors are like used car salesmen, as well.

NT

help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Green

Posted by Green on February 04, 2002 at 10:08:01:

Hi All
I am plannning to take the salesman license exam soon. Currently I work in High Tech and I am being paid OK. I have flexible hrs at work too.

Couple of quick questions.

1. Working part time- Is it common among salesman/brokers?

2)Would you recommend working part time?

3)Do the real estate companies recruit part time salesman/brokers.(I read somewhere that most of them don’t)

4)If I want to work part time only AND if real estate companies dont want part-timers- What do I do/What are my options?

Thanks in advance

Re: help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on February 04, 2002 at 12:24:24:

You may have better luck with a smaller independent brokerage as opposed to one of the “big names”. You also could look into a Re/Max type broker where you pay a flat desk fee per month. They couldn’t care less how much business you do because they get the same amount of money from you every month regardless of your volume.

NT

Re: help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Travis (Dallas)

Posted by Travis (Dallas) on February 04, 2002 at 12:04:31:

Most of the large companies don’t like to hire persons with full time jobs who sell real estate in the evening and weekends. They spend a lot on training and they also are concerned about rookies who may get them sued.
I would call a few and ask them. If what I say is true about large companies, find a smaller privately owned firm. They are usually flexible and will work with you.
What city are you in? Do you want to invest or make money from getting real estate commissions?
Good luck.
Travis

Re: help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Monty

Posted by Monty on February 04, 2002 at 11:44:22:

They don’t care whether you work part time or not. What they care about is if you bring in business. If you worked at their office only 1 hour per week they wouldn’t care as long as you bring in business, that’s the bottom line. And if you bring in business at a constant rate, you will be treated royally.

Re: help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Green

Posted by Green on February 04, 2002 at 13:35:34:

Thanks for the info,

Roughly what range would be the desk fee??
xx$$-yy$$. Just to get a rough idea.

Are there many guys who do this part -time?

Re: help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Green

Posted by Green on February 04, 2002 at 13:38:59:

IThanks for the help.
I am in Autin TX

As I understand, I think it would help me if I take a license. How I look at it…is you can move around in realtor circle, Have hands on info like MLS etc, and some benefits like waive of commisions for the properties that I buy. I am just using common sense approach. AM I wrong ???

Re: help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on February 04, 2002 at 21:32:55:

Well, you’d really have to call the ReMax offices in your area to get an idea. I don’t know what it is in Austin.

Here in DC the going rate at ReMax is $600-$900 per month. That includes you keeping all your commissions, plus your share of the office overhead etc etc. The various ReMax franchises are always competing to get more agents so they will often cut you a deal to get you to switch.

There are also some “discount flat fee” brokers in our area with fees of $275-$450 per month. I personally am affiliated with one of these. Although you pay less, the reason you do is because their overhead is a lot lower…i.e. smaller, less expensive office, no training, etc. etc. But then again, since I don’t need any of those things, I’m happy that I don’t have to pay for them.

Just ask around with agents, I’m sure you’ll find some similar companies in your area. But Realty Executives and ReMax are the two big “national” franchises of 100% commission offices.

I would guess that about 50% of the agents in my office are part time.

NT

Re: help from licensed Realtors: TX - Posted by Travis (Dallas)

Posted by Travis (Dallas) on February 04, 2002 at 18:39:29:

Get a license, if you want to make money by commissions or if you want the knowledge.
If you want to invest, you don’t need one and it may hamper you when you talk to sellers. I think many sellers think real estate agents are like used car salesmen.
The MLS is handy, but I think the most successful investors get their best deals elsewhere.
Good luck.
Travis