help ,i need an idea - Posted by shelly

Posted by James HArris on April 29, 2006 at 05:53:04:

I’m not an expert on the matter; however, I don’t see how the tenet could expect you to pay for his things because he dropped his insurance. Yet, I would inform him that this is the reason why he needs insurance. Your landlord insurance will cover only the house, not it’s contents.

help ,i need an idea - Posted by shelly

Posted by shelly on April 28, 2006 at 22:40:51:

need some opinions please,i have a house with a mortgage,it was being rented under a l/o,sold it under a land contract.tenant/buyer drops tenant ins when he closed,i kept the hazard ins on it because of the dos clause.a neighbor cuts a tree,it falls onto a power line causing some 25 houses to have high voltage burn all that was plugged into the outlets.the tenant/buyer demands i claim it on my ins.for the house.any ideas on this issue.did i do wrong with this sale?i am concerned my ins will be cancelled because of the claim.i dont know if i have any liability or not?

Re: help ,i need an idea - Posted by John

Posted by John on April 29, 2006 at 12:22:29:

What amount is the tennant asking you to file for?
How much damage was done to the house?
You have a landlord policy, Right?

I am no expert but the policy would cover damage to the house. It would not cover, the tennants property and appliances. It would seem like a claim against the neighbor would be warranted if they was minimal damage to the house. Small claims court would be another option. However if the property is uninhabital because of this, you may want to file a claim with your insurance and let them fight it out with the neighbor.
You may want to seek legal advise, in this mater if you have damages.

Re: help ,i need an idea - Posted by gman

Posted by gman on April 29, 2006 at 11:42:54:

I’m no legal expert by any means, but seems to me he certainly screwed himself by dropping his insurance. If he had a claim at all it would be against the neighbor who cut the tree. If you filed with your insurance, even if the policy didn’t get canceled it would certainly go up when it’s time to renew.

Spend the money and consult with an attorney.