Help!!!! Need Advice... - Posted by Brian

Posted by Jim Locker on January 23, 2001 at 16:35:08:

Poly-something with bad HVAC properties?

Hmmm…you’re confused about something. HVAC stands for Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning.

Now Poly-something could be polypropylene which indeed is bad news. However, I though that problem had been solved a decade ago.

Polypropylene plumbing was advertised as the wave of the future for awhile. What the manufacturer knew - and didn’t tell - was that (I forget all the details) there was some kind of reaction between the fittings used to connect this pipe and oxygen in the water which caused the fittings to rapidly deteriorate. Any house plumbed with this stuff acquired massive plumbing problems after only a few years.

If the house is plumbed with polypropylene and metal fittings, however, there will be no trouble.

However, it seems to me that the house would have to be older than five years to be having this problem…anyhow, if that’s it you will likely have to replace all the plumbing.

Help!!! Need Advice… - Posted by Brian

Posted by Brian on January 23, 2001 at 09:49:36:

Hi all…Here’s the situation…
Please close your eyes and put yourself in my position…
I mean keep them open to read…lol

I am structuring a deal to buy a home…I have pre-qualified… And will get a very good rate… The seller is a good friend and is willing to work with me… But I don’t trust him…AT ALL…

The house that I am buying is a one level ranch… It has the basement entrance from the outside… It’s not a basement…more of an access point to underneath the home.
The home is 5 yrs old…

As I am structuring this with my friend, a mutual friend tells me “Know matter what you do, have an inspector look underneath the home…” Now keep in mind, that is all the information I got… He is a mutual friend, and will not betray either trust… It was more of a warning to me…

I then talked to my two real estate friends, and they told me to be careful and have an inspector carefully look at the pipes… Apparently, 5 yrs ago when built, the builder use some type of poly -something pipe that has since been recalled between of extremely bad HVAC properties…
My problem is that if the mutual friend knows, the seller knows and is just not telling me. (bas$ard) Oh well, I will have to make sure the inspector finds the error…lol

Has anyone ever heard of this…Any encounters with this…

Also,
My real estate friend says that if he were to put the house on the market right now…$124,000 would be the very high… and 119,000 would be the low… Bear in mind, he lives next door to the home in question…

With that in mind, if you were buying without a realtor, what would you offer… would you all just take out 5-6% of the above prices and make an offer…
124000 - 5.5% realtor = 117000
119000 - 5.5% realtor = 112500

Average 117k + 112.5K / 2 = 115k OFFER

Any advice is much appreciated…

Thank You
Brian