Help Please! Trying to take over payments of a couple that is divorcing. - Posted by Sheila Dial

Posted by Steve-Atl on March 29, 2000 at 11:58:44:

If the ex-wife’s name was on the mortgage, then she will continue to be liable for the mortgage until its paid off. She can sign over her ownership (i.e. quit claim) but the mortgage stays in place until paid.

Help Please! Trying to take over payments of a couple that is divorcing. - Posted by Sheila Dial

Posted by Sheila Dial on March 29, 2000 at 11:36:41:

Hi all,
My uncle and his wife are divorcing. They both are unemployed right now and he is living in the house. His wife signed a quit claim deed. He wants to sell it (preferably to a family member). I’ve convinced him to consider me taking over the payments but believes he can’t hold the mortgage and must sell because if he doesn’t she will still be liable for 1/2 of the mortgage even though she signed the deed. Is this true? Is there anyway I can take over payments without her still be liable or is there anyway else this can work without me having to qualify for a loan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sad