Help! Pointers on how to follow posts here? - Posted by johnny

Posted by johnny on October 25, 2005 at 15:20:50:

Excellent advice Clint. Thank you. That should solve my problem.

Help! Pointers on how to follow posts here? - Posted by johnny

Posted by johnny on October 25, 2005 at 05:12:55:

This is an awesome news group. Absolutely awesome. However, the structure and functioning of the code that runs it sometimes makes it difficult to find things. One of the problems is that the subject line doesn’t carry over on follow-ups. So for example, if I happen to remember part of the heading of an initial post, I can do a search for that, but I won’t get the entire thread because the subject changes through out the thread, at the whim of each poster. You can’t define a date range to search by (eg: 10/1/05 - 10/24/05). If you get lucky and bring up part of a thread, there’s no way to see the entire thread heirarchy.

I’m sorry, I’m not meaning to be critical…every news group codes and runs their group according to how they want it done. I’ve just had a lot of difficulty chasing down posts I’ve been following once they vanish from the bottom of the page.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to track down threads after they vanish and where the subject line changes frequently?

BTW, I’m using Firefox on XP. Maybe IE would be better?

Firefox is fine…better than IE but, - Posted by Clint

Posted by Clint on October 25, 2005 at 06:03:17:

When you bring up a post, book mark it if you want to find it later, also, after the first post, there is a link that says follow ups link, located just below the first post, right above the ad banner. That will link all posts to that discussion.

Clint