Here's a title problem I've never encountered before.... - Posted by Rick

Posted by Tony-VA on June 05, 2000 at 09:23:19:

Every location will differ on how or even if, they will attach tax liens.

The protection is the same. Due diligence. I have had to pass up homes because of situations like this. I simply required them to come up with a clean title in their name. Usually these are done the day before my closing date so I can be pretty well assured that no liens exist. I would suggest also that you contact the local tax department and find out the procedures on how to best to determine if such a lien may exist.

Best Wishes,

Tony-VA

Here’s a title problem I’ve never encountered before… - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on June 05, 2000 at 08:50:10:

Hey all-

Watch out for the following scenario when purchasing a mobile home-

A guy flipped a MH to me that his next door neighbor had given him when they moved out, and he had already hand written his name in the buyer slot on the title.

Oh well, I thought, I’ll just get power of attorney, put myself as the lienholder so the title will come to me, and then sign his name to transfer it to me once it arrives.

When it arrived, however, it had 2 liens…another lien was slapped on because he hadn’t paid his state income taxes! Now I have to try to chase him down and make him pay his taxes, or pay them myself!! Luckily it was only $200, but if it had been $10,000, I’d be in trouble because not only would I lose the home but I already sold it to someone!

I realized that if any of my future buyers have unpaid taxes, that the title will come back this way too and possibly complicate repossession!

Any ideas how to prevent this, or will this probably come up on the credit report?

Rick Dawson