Historic barn gotta go - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Marty (MO) on June 01, 2007 at 14:07:32:

Historic barn gotta go - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Keith (OH) on May 30, 2007 at 09:05:39:

I have a piece of land with a historic barn located on the front corner of the lot. There is not a lot of traffic through there with the exception of a local park right next to it. The kids from the park have always used the barn as a hang out. We have found beer cans, condemns and the like since we bought the place last year. Late last year we decided to get the message out that the barn was off limits; hung signs, got police involved, but this seemed to just fuel the fire as the kids retaliated with vandalism and grafiti, spray painting the antique beams inside the barn. Not pretty. I guess in hind sight we probably should have just let things be ? That’s a ‘tuffie’.

At any rate, we are now looking to just have the barn removed before it is completely destroyed and I am curious if any other investors in rural areas have had any luck selling off older barns to scrappers for antique barn wood. I hear there is a large demand for this wood and craftsman are paying a pretty penny for some. We don’t have a use for the barn in its current location and have better uses for our funds than a war with the neighborhood kids.

Thanks,
Keith

can you say…chestnut? - Posted by seldon

Posted by seldon on May 30, 2007 at 11:48:49:

dont give it away.It very well may be made out of chestnut lumber and the wide boards that barns are made of are worth a small fortune even at wholesale prices.After the great chestnut blight of the early 1900’s fully half of the hardwood forests of the eastern US were dead and being consumed by worms,by 1950 there were no chestnuts left standing.the solution of what to do with all these dead trees were to saw them up worm holes and all to use them to build barns,sheds and low priced houses.Now this wood is a thing of the past and in great demand in ultra high class homes and such.where I live there are many coal camps and slum neighborhoods where the homes are worth more for salvage than they are sa dwellings because of old wormy lumber they are built from.tearing down houses is hard work but can be profitable if there is not to much surplus material that is toxic and/or hard to get rid of,barns on the other hand are almost pure cream 'cause nearly everything is salvageable.Even if your barn is made of oak antique barn boards are highly sought after. S

Re: Historic barn gotta go - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on May 30, 2007 at 09:59:54:

You’ve got an “attractive nuisance” on your property, & there
could be other legal liability or public right-of-way issues. I agree
the barn has to go, but until it does, make sure you’ve got a good
liability ins policy & keep your land posted.

Also check to make sure whoever takes down the barn has ins &
gives you a waiver of liability. I’d google “reclaimed timber” &
check the ads in the back sections of housebuilding & decorating
magazines. There are probably woodworkers interested, so
contacting the instructors of some of those classes might yield
results. If you don’t have a future need for the wood yourself, a
local sawmill can probably put you in touch w/someone who has
old wood re-sawn. There’s always eBay!

Good luck, & keep us posted–

Tye

Get deposit from salvager - Posted by roundhouse

Posted by roundhouse on June 01, 2007 at 13:09:40:

If you do sell the barn to a salvager.
Get a LARGE deposit first, otherwise they will grab the valuable stuff and disappear and leave you with a huge mess to clean up.