Home phone # for Rentals? - Posted by SteveH

Posted by Mike-DFW on November 26, 1999 at 21:38:48:

I never give out my home # to tenants or anyone else for that matter. I give my office # and pager/voice mail.

My home # is unlisted, caller ID blocked and in my wifes maiden name. Makes it tough on telemarketers.

Mike

Home phone # for Rentals? - Posted by SteveH

Posted by SteveH on November 26, 1999 at 15:33:42:

Hi everyone,
Do you usually give your home phone # on rentals or have your tenants call you at the office from 8 to 5? Been getting several calls at home.
Thanks,
Steve

Cell phone, second line and distinctive ring. - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on November 27, 1999 at 13:38:05:

I have a business line. It is the only number I give out. We use distinctive ringing on each of our lines - so 2 lines actually have 8 different phone numbers and rings. Very inexpensive. So, on either line, we know the source of the call. The business line is usually forwarded to my cell phone which has voice mail and caller id.

If I’m busy and don’t recognize the number - I don’t pick it up. Yet, if my son calls or someone I’ve been trying to reach - I can take the call. To me, it’s total control, yet 24 hour access for what I CONSIDER IMPORTANT - not what someone else does.

After having a couple lousy cell phone connections in the past and an voice mail service that shut down, I decided I didn’t want to ever give out a number again that would be temporary. So, I give out only the business lines from a couple different cities. Both are forwarded to the cell phone, but I can change that in a moment.

We had a break in and my cell phone was stolen out of my car. Within minutes, I had the lines forwarded to my wife’s cell phone and also downloaded my telephone directory from the computer.

I love the program “fonesync” that will synchonize your computer telephone directory (Outlook or other PIMs) with the telephone. You can even have multiple phone books in case you had different databases of numbers you wanted in your phone at different times.

Happy tenants are profitable tenants!!! - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on November 27, 1999 at 10:26:30:

They’ll stay longer and will refer their friends to you when you have a vacancy. If they know that you care, then they will do so also and take better care of the place. It is important to me that my tenants can reach me quickly when it is warranted. Like Rob - FL, I installed a second line for business (also for fax & modem). My family does not answer that line. I have an answering machine on it and can hear it ring through most of the house, but not in my bedroom. When I am out and about, I forward it to my cell phone, which came with voicemail. I’ve got my business line set up with the phone company, so it automatically forwards to my mobile when I am on the modem. In one area I have a dozen low-incomew housing units and I have an on-site manager there. I give the guy $200 off his rent to collect the rents, show the vacant units, make arrangements and let in the cleaning and appliance repair people as needed, etc. Above all, he serves as a buffer for the tenants. My phone number is listed on all the rent receipts that he gives out. The tenants have learned to go to him first.