House moving info? - Posted by Andy

Posted by Corey (ND) on May 18, 2000 at 21:24:23:

Steph,
The reason that I used posted a figure was to give this gentleman something to start with. As you will note I stated that costs will vary. But at least he has some idea of a ballpark price to look at.

What are you total costs running you to move the house, buy land and do the rehab?? I think it is always important to let someone know as much as possible before they dive into something. That is why I quoted the figures I did.

Didn’t mean to sound like an expert. But I have done a couple of these, and they can be a handfull.

Thanks

House moving info? - Posted by Andy

Posted by Andy on May 17, 2000 at 18:18:52:

Can anyone point me to internet sites regarding house moving and do you have any experience in doing this? Can it be a profitable venture?

Re: House moving info? - Posted by mike-tx

Posted by mike-tx on May 18, 2000 at 17:28:00:

Andy, Steph has pretty much hit everything, I would just add that the location you move it to can make a big difference in the total cost and headaches. In my town the building department treats moved houses as new construction, that means EVERYTHING has to be brought up to current code and minimum sq footage requirements. When I do something like this I try to find a lot outside the city limits that has already been developed (ex mobile home lots work great) then the level of rehab is up to me with no trouble from the building inspectors. You might want to check your local building dept to find out how they would treat a moved house. good luck!

Re: House moving info? - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on May 18, 2000 at 07:07:53:

depends on where you are… but i’d say yes, you just need some cash, as most of your cost will occur upfront.

where i am it cost about 10K to have a small house moved. i can usually get those houses for free, so that helps.

then you need to think about your site.
that could be the hard part. deed restrictions were the biggest thing i came up against. most of the time you have to go before a board with all your plans etc…pain, but can be done. don’t forget about ALL the permiting…

once you have your site approval, you have to think about your foundation / peirs. in my experience, you can get it done for about 100 bucks a peir or less.

utilities… where i am, the sites we chose had to have septic. that was a pretty nice chunk, about 4-6K.then tie everything else in.

then came the rehab of the houses. most of my freebies need quite a bit of work. but once your this far~ it’s just another rehab.

what you might consider, is have someone else buy the land, and buy the house (bill of sale~ how about $1)
then once the house is moved and set, you can buy it from them using hard money, and hopefully get some repair money… this has worked in the past.

factor all that in, plus your 10% off the top… If there’s still room~ go for it… but just remember~ time is money… how many deals could you do in the time it takes to do one of these?
many was my answer…
BUT~
i still do the many, and am in the process of cutting up an acre so I can have a place to set 3 more free houses… will be FAT on the back end…
so i guess it’s worth it to me, but i need to keep the deals rolling to keep the cash coming in too…

hope that helps…

steph in tex

Re: House moving info? - Posted by Andy

Posted by Andy on May 18, 2000 at 17:18:13:

Maybe I’ll just blow the dust off Lonnie’s book. Thanks guys.

Re: House moving info? - Posted by JeneanNC

Posted by JeneanNC on May 18, 2000 at 09:55:01:

Steph, you mention getting a hard money loan. Can you please direct me to some hard money lenders for Single family homes with a FMV of $90K or below? Thanks!

Re: House moving info? - Posted by Corey (ND)

Posted by Corey (ND) on May 18, 2000 at 08:55:13:

I would say it all depends on the market price for houses in your area. The bare minimum with getting the house for free + all of your expenses including moving, lot, UTILITY LINE MOVING and rehab will run you about $60,000. But of course that can vary from area to area. Sounds like a good deal if starter homes in your area go for 90k +. But if they are in the 60’s, well you get the idea. Best of luck. Drop me an e-mail I would be happy to answer any questions.

Re: House moving info? - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on May 18, 2000 at 13:17:18:

No way can you generalize the rehab cost.That will vary from home to home.
We pay 100.00 per utility pole. You’re right~ I did leave that out. That can drive the cost up quick. We’re pretty picky about the ones we agree to haul off.
It’s true your market will determine the feasibility
of the project.
Starter homes in my area star at 100K plus. Works well here.
Thanks for your comments