Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by LI

Posted by ski on June 13, 2007 at 16:39:01:

The army corps of engineers really screwed up Houston. When I lived there the bayous (big drainage ditches) were widened and retention ponds were erected. The impact was that many areas that NEVER flooded were under water for quite some time. This was the nw section of town, near 610 and little york. Bad deal.

Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by LI

Posted by LI on June 12, 2007 at 14:51:19:

Hi;
I’m currently in NY…thinking of moving to TX.

Would love to hear some input on Houston vs Dallas…
Thanks…
LI

Dallas - Posted by george

Posted by george on June 13, 2007 at 14:46:31:

Actually, the profit opportunities are pretty much the same.

Houston’s traffic is worse (not much, tho) and its climate is hotter and more humid.

Different strokes… depends on what turns you on or off.

Austin !! - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on June 13, 2007 at 07:14:07:

grew up in H-town. I visit often. hate the humidity and perma-sweat, however. great food of every variety.

personally, I do not like Dallas. but I know a lot of people who do.

when I returned to TX after 20 years in CA, I made a beeline to the west side of Austin. Austin is magnifico, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Re: Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by dealmaker

Posted by dealmaker on June 12, 2007 at 19:40:14:

Lived in Houston 25 years but went to Dallas about 1 week every 6, I preferred Dallas. I now live west of Austin and I wouldn’t move to another big city if you beat me.

Houston is really good for ONE THING, it’s a great place to make money! Wait, make that TWO THINGS, there’s lots of single women too!

BTW, forget about paying $1K taxes on $195K house. Tax rates in the major metro areas are about 3% of FULL MARKET, and we have the highest insurance rates in the country, although I’m sure FL is catching us or has already passed us!

OTOH, we don’t have to shovel snow!

dealmaker

HOUSTON all the WAY - Posted by Kenneth Hocking

Posted by Kenneth Hocking on June 12, 2007 at 19:23:07:

Lived in Both

Live in Houston Now…7 years PLUS…

I personally think the opportunities are better in Houston …

World Class Energy Companies
World Class medical center

World Class Port

Jobs
Jobs
Jobs
Jobs

I Build income Properties in Houston and have had NO slow up…

Good luck

Re: Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on June 12, 2007 at 16:45:03:

I don’t live in TX but I invest in San Antonio. I have to say that when Hurricane Rita hit, I was very happy not to have property in Houston. The hurricanes lose most of their punch that far inland.

Re: Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on June 13, 2007 at 21:41:26:

Hey Dealmaker:

Any of these markets (Houston, Dallas and Austin) experiencing any spot-building construction booms? By ‘spot-building’ (I think that’s the term) I mean areas where builders are putting up one house on one lot at a time as opposed to large developments?

Ib

Re: Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by LI

Posted by LI on June 13, 2007 at 06:57:57:

Thanks dealmaker…

3%!! That’s high! 6K on a 200K house! wow…
Can you give me some numbers on insurance? Thanks

Re: HOUSTON all the WAY - Posted by LI

Posted by LI on June 13, 2007 at 07:06:33:

Thanks Kenneth;
I posted the foll. on the comercial group as well…would appreciated your input…

Hi Ray and all.
I am thinking of moveing to the Dallas/Houston. I will have about $300K to burn. I am looking for suggestions on investing…

Rental Houses ?
Rental Condos?
MHP?
Apartment building?
Rehab?

Thanks

Re: Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on June 12, 2007 at 17:08:22:

Lived in Houston for 19 yrs. Loved it. It is one of the most devalued cities in the US. Found a 6/3.5/3 on 1/2 acre with a pool for 195K, MLS. Taxes were about 1k. I now live in sunny swfla but am considering moving back there. It is a world class city. It has anything you would want, almost like NYC.

Re: Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by Kenneth Hocking

Posted by Kenneth Hocking on June 16, 2007 at 18:49:16:

Yes SPOT Building is HUGE near the Medical Center in Houston 77025 Zipcode tear down 300K house build 975,00 to 1.5 million House

har.com is the local real estate mls look up 77025 big Spot building.

I am also buulding Duplexes near the medical center and doing fine

GOOD LUCK

Re: Houston Vs Dallas - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on June 12, 2007 at 17:10:51:

San Antonio did not even get rain when Rita came through. Evacuations and floods, no thanks. On the other hand, I live in CA and can’t take the humidity of TX in general.

Hurricane Rita - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on June 13, 2007 at 07:21:58:

my mom lives on the northwest side of Houston, just outside the Loop. she stayed home when Rita hit. not one drop of rain. some gusty winds, but no rain.

if you are going to invest in Houston, make sure you stay out of flood zones. They are easy to identify.

Those flood maps were redrawn after the unbelievable “500 year hurricane” that hit in 2001. Hurricane Allison sat on top of Houston for a couple days, dumping over 2 feet of rain. Hurricanes usually move at 20-30 mph and blow through in a matter of hours. not Allison. it flooded neighborhoods that had never flooded in recorded history. if your prospective property was above Allison’s high water mark, you are very safe.