How can one get good renters? - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Rob FL on March 07, 2000 at 13:45:46:

Where I am at, public records including judgments, liens, criminal convictions, evictions, foreclosure, banktuptcies are filed at the recording office. My recording office is online. Also our department of law enforcement has lots of criminal info online. Your area may not have this available.

There are many credit bureaus who will take you order right on the internet. Go to www.mrlandlord.com for more info.

Also try http://www.informus.com/hdocs/ssnlkup.html

How can one get good renters? - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Carlos on March 06, 2000 at 16:44:19:

As someone who consider renting out my house in the future, is there any article about how one can go about finding good renters? A good renter being a person/family who will pay the rent on time and take care of the house. Plus, can landlords look at their prospective renters’ credit reports?

Are you a landlord? Do you have good renters? How did you find your renters?

And before you turn over the keys… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 07, 2000 at 07:57:01:

…request to see the receipt for having the utilities (water/gas/electric) turned on in their OWN name.

Also, get a copy of their social security cards and driver’s licenses.

(Some people even take a picture of EACH tenant.)

Re: How can one get good renters? - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 06, 2000 at 21:33:47:

I have been a Landlord for over 12 years. The ABSOLUTE BEST method I’ve found, to date, to get rent on the First, month after month is Lease Option. In my contract, they don’t get their rent credit unless their rent is paid ON THE FIRST ! Every stinkin month, like clockwork…that rent is there ! then… straight to my checking account ! hehehehe (snidley whiplash accent) I’ll never “just rent” a house again!

I use Bronchick’s Lease Option forms.
Laure :slight_smile:

Re: How can one get good renters? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 06, 2000 at 20:36:15:

I tell everyone up front and then spell it out in writing on my application: I verify credit, criminal, income, and rental history. If there is a problem, you better tell me now and have a reasonable explanation or I won’t rent to you. Also I charge a $15 application fee. Most troublemakers don’t want to lose $15 so they shy away once they find out the deal.

With a returned application, I require a picture ID, social security card, and last paystub. Then I verify their information. It is so easy to do this with the internet.

Of course, I realized a while back, that in this economy with 7-8% interest rates that anybody over 30 years old that still rents is doing so because they have a definite reason that is holding them back. I just hope that reason is not too bad.

Re: How can one get good renters? - Posted by Steve C., Houston

Posted by Steve C., Houston on March 06, 2000 at 17:56:24:

Any landlord can require prospective tenants to provide a recent credit report (no older than 30 days, 2 weeks is better), plus references from previous landlords or mortgage lenders, if they owned a home. Once you get the references, TALK to them. Don’t assume if the first one is OK that the rest will be. The best question to ask a previous landlord is: Would you rent to them again? If he/she hesitates (or says no), you should probably find another tenant. These are the basics, and without that you’re flying blind. Don’t be tempted by a wad of cash. It may be the last cash you will ever see from them.

If you don’t know how to interpret a credit report, a local mortgage broker may be willing to help you. Your banker could also help.

As far as finding people who will take care of the house, I have two favorite tests. They may seem lame, but if you think about it, it’s often true.

First, if you can visit them where they’re living now, even for a few minutes, you will see how they live. If it’s a mess there, they will move the same mess to your place within 30 days.

If not, and they meet you at the property in their car, casually take a look at the inside of their car. Same test: if it’s full of beer bottles and empty MacDonald’s wrappers, that’s how your house will look when they move in. It’s no guarantee either way, but it will give you an indication of how they live.

Re: How can one get good renters? - Posted by Sally

Posted by Sally on March 06, 2000 at 17:46:50:

Try http://www.mrlandlord.com There is a plethora of information on how to landlord and you can order credit reports and background checks for a small fee.

Re: How can one get good renters? - Posted by Judy

Posted by Judy on March 07, 2000 at 09:13:21:

How do you go about verifying the info on the internet?

Thanks, Judy