How do I find a good Agent??? - Posted by Sam (BigD Tx)

Posted by Chenel Moore_Fl on March 15, 2001 at 08:28:37:

Trust me, I am a real estate agent who has the been the victim of agent abuse. That’s why I am now unloading a property that I should have sold months ago. Now if that isn’t the joke of the day, I don’t know what else is!!!

How do I find a good Agent??? - Posted by Sam (BigD Tx)

Posted by Sam (BigD Tx) on March 14, 2001 at 13:19:06:

Hello everyone. Big ups to this RE community. This is the place to be.

I am trying to put the vital parts together for my network starting with an agent. I walked into a Century 21 office and asked to speak with an agent. This very old lady leaning forward (about 70, maybe the head of the franchise the way the secretary respects her with “yes mams”) came out to greet me and invited me into her office. Almost before I could sat down she asked " How can I help you?" I responded “Well I’m a looking to invest in some properties. Do you work with investors?” and she replies " Sir, we work with anyone buying properties. What prices are you looking for?". I told her anything from the 60k and below, as this is what I can qualify for. Now mind you I know I’m not suppose to be trying to qulify for a loan to invest all the time but thought I’d better play it safe for now. Now that I think about it, it really exudes a lack of confidence. So, I thought good enough. She asked “How will you be paying? Will be with cash or terms?” I told her “Well mam that depends on the deal and if my partner will be willing to invest, if not then I have to come up with some type of financing”. She told me to come back in about an hour. I think she is compiling a list. My question is when should I ask to see the MLS list or if this is even the way to make an attempt at cultivating a relationship with an agent. Being that she is so old is this a plus or minus. Any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sam

PS. I also have another office I plan on visiting. If there is a new approach I should try I will use it there.

Thanks

There is no such thing! LOL (nt) - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on March 14, 2001 at 22:33:01:

Re: How do I find a good Agent??? - Posted by Dave Mckee

Posted by Dave Mckee on March 14, 2001 at 19:28:21:

First let me tell you I’m 67 as of last August, so your already in trouble…just kidding!

Seriously, you handled it ok. Generaly the MLS rules don’t allow the public to see the listings, but after you do a few deals through an agent they will often let you “brouse” through their book when your in their office.
More importantly, the experience of the agent is what you should be checking on. All the agents in MLS can show you the same properties. You want someone who knows their business and is willing to find ways to make deals work. The only way to determine that is to get aquainted and ask questions about how to make a deal work with less than ideal conditions.

I presume you have read some real estate books or taken a basic course. If not, do so now.

Good luck!

Dave

Re: There is no such thing! LOL (nt) - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on March 15, 2001 at 18:14:58:

I think I agree with William. Well I am sure there is some out there. Call around and ask if they have any realtor that is familiar with creative financing. That will give you a good idea of which are flexible and willing to work for you instead of against you. Hope that helps.

Re: Shame on You People, That is Agent Abuse!! nt - Posted by Chenel Moore_Fl

Posted by Chenel Moore_Fl on March 15, 2001 at 01:11:34:

nt

Re: How do I find a good Agent??? - Posted by Sam (BigD Tx)

Posted by Sam (BigD Tx) on March 15, 2001 at 24:52:55:

First of all, let me apoligize for any concieved offense in my referrence to her age. I just wanted to give an impression of her apperance. I knew I would hear about this after I thought about it on my way to work. :-). I do believe it’s what’s between her ears that counts. She didn’t even raise a brow when I mentioned investing.

After I returned, she supplied me with a list of about 15 houses in my area to take a look at.

I have just finished Robert Allen’s Nothing down for the 90s. Waithing on A.D. Kessler’s “A fortune at your feet” (revised version). I am trying to educate myself as much as possible as not to sound ignorant in conversation about the business.

Thanks alot Dave.

Sam

Ask the woman… - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on March 15, 2001 at 08:15:47:

…whose 130k house I am buying for the loan balance of 60k because she is on the courthouse steps who had an offer of 80k last year that the agent didn’t EVEN PRESENT to her because “she isn’t interested”.

Ask her about agent abuse.

I am sure she can give you an earful.

Re: How do I find a good Agent??? - Posted by Dave Mckee

Posted by Dave Mckee on March 15, 2001 at 01:34:43:

Sam, No offence taken.

It sounds like you have your investment plan in good order. Keep up the good work!

Dave